Hello Stangnet! Need some help...

Hello Stangnet-

I'am starting a project and need some help since I'm a newbie at a lot of this stuff. The project title is Project Spartan.

My car: 1968 mustang fastback gt 390, original engine is on a stand and I'm currently running a crate motor 390 with 435/450 flywheel power. Exhaust is hooker headers to 3inch to flowmasters. Tranny is C6 that is built shift kit, torque converter. Rearend is 3.50 richmond no slip. No track time of yet.

Goal: My goal for the car is to make a 11.5 sec or under that is a weekend cruiser and some track play every now and then.

My Plans:

Interior/Electrical:
1. Gauge night lighting fixed/RPM gauge Rally-Pac
2. Sound System/New Speakers/CD/MP3 player
3. DynaMat Sound deadening
4. Interior fixed/interior décor group
5. New Seats matching interior/Performance seats
6. New Performance seat belts
7. New Steering Column
8. Wood grain steering wheel
Exterior/Car Looks:
1. New Paint Job/Raven Black
2. New Hood/67 Shelby Style
3. Chrome/Bumpers/Other
4. Limo Tinted Windows
5. Xenon Head-Lights
6. Spartan Emblem On Back Window

Engine/Power Adder:
1. Procharger Supercharger System
2. All added necessary items

Transmission/Rear-end:
1. Automatic Overdrive/Gearvendor
2. 4.10 Gears
3. Aluminum Driveshaft/Safety Loop

Suspension/Traction/Handling:
1. Cal-Trac Bars
2. Sub Frame Connectors
3. Rear Wheels/9.5in to 10in Torque Thrust
4. Rear Tires/ 315 Nitto 555r
5. Well Balanced ride/Performance
6. Rack and Pinion

Well right now this is what I what done to the car. I want to start with the suspension. So I was hoping to get some insight on what you guys think of what Im doing in the suspension department.

I will be ordering the cal trac bars on monday, and I am still not sure of which subframes I should get? So if you have any preferences let me know. I also was planning on upgrading my slim 235 size tires for some really think 315s out back. I have 17x8 inch torq thursts and want to upgrade these to 17x9.5 or 17x10 torq thurst to run 315s out back.. What will I need to do to make this happen? Whether it be tubbing or some other technique whats the best?

This is my first post on the forum and I thank you for all the help that you might be able to give. I also will continue to ask your help on each step of the project and provide updates and pics of each step I take. Again thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

If nothing has been done to the front suspension since it was new, now is the time to completely rebuild it. New everything, except for the spindles. If it doesn't have front disc brakes, you'll definately need that too. I'd skip the supercharger, you don't have room for it and with a built 390, you don't need it. My 67 390 car ran 14's with the stock engine, 3 speed manual trans and 3.00 rear, no reason yours won't get close with 4.11's and a posi rear.

Thanks I'll check on tinman fabercation subframes.

Hearne, the front suspension is all new with koni shocks on the front, and lowered maybe an inch or so, and I have disc in the front and drums in the back. So just bumping up my 3.50s to 4.11s and some of my other suspension mods would bump close to mid 11's? It will be a weekend cruiser with the 4.11s do you think the gearvendor overdrive will be something that is really necessarry or should I live without the overdrive? Thanks.

My 67 Stang like yours with a Lowriser 427, Toploader 4 speed and 3.00's ran 13's and even with the dual four bbl Holleys could pull down 15-20 mpg on the highway. The 390 always was a sleeper engine, those that knew nothing about them always got their eyes opened when beaten by one. Those that did know them, knew not to underrate them.:nice:

Yeah the gearvendor units have a high cost to them, but Im never going to sell my car and would really love to be able to drive my car on the freeway and not have to deal with the 4.11s. Your right bout the 390 being a sleeper with a lot of the other classic car guys calling it a boat anchor, cant wait till I catch some of them at a red light...

Hearne what do you think is the best way to run 315s on 9.5 inch torque thrust II and still keep the stock look of the car? I do not know really where to start?

I doubt 315's would fit in the fenders, but it's been a long time since I had mine. I ran some circle track tires on the back of mine once that were about that wide but they were on 15 x 8 aluminum slots with a 3.5" backspace:D You might also check into an FE belled AOD for overdrive, might be cheaper than the GearVendor setup. I think Lentech builds these.