Fox Help/advice

MustangGT559

Aug 26, 2015
Last week I bought my first car. A 1990 Mustang GT. I was wondering what I should first to it? And what I can do to make a reliable. I also want to get my MPG better as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Hard to give advice as both of those items are subjective. If you want reliable, do a tune up including plugs, wires, dist cap, fresh oil change, fuel filter, rotate tires, change trans fluid, rear end gear oil etc. If you want better mpg's, do all of the above. :)

Fix any oil leaks, repair damaged body parts (if any) and enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users
^^ this, and likely O2 sensors. clean TB and MAM wire, new cats if they are high mileage.
A stock 5.0 if driven easy should return high 20mpgs on the interstate. Most I ever saw was 29.0 driving 65mph for 600 miles. Around town I could easily get 20mpg, however if I traded with a buddy to use his truck for a weekend it would consume 10mpg.
Get it tuned up and running well, and drive it easy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to give advice as both of those items are subjective. If you want reliable, do a tune up including plugs, wires, dist cap, fresh oil change, fuel filter, rotate tires, change trans fluid, rear end gear oil etc. If you want better mpg's, do all of the above. :)

Fix any oil leaks, repair damaged body parts (if any) and enjoy.
Thank you! Helped tremendously

^^ this, and likely O2 sensors. clean TB and MAM wire, new cats if they are high mileage.
A stock 5.0 if driven easy should return high 20mpgs on the interstate. Most I ever saw was 29.0 driving 65mph for 600 miles. Around town I could easily get 20mpg, however if I traded with a buddy to use his truck for a weekend it would consume 10mpg.
Get it tuned up and running well, and drive it easy.
Thank you, your advice will do long way

Best advice for reliability, keep it stoclow and don't skimp out with cheap retail parts. Spending up front will save you time, money and headaches later.

Reactions: 1 user