HELP! car wont' even crank!

ffr66cobra

Dec 18, 2004
Drove the car all day today.. 01gt... now i go to move the car in the driveway, turn the key and NUTHIN.. All the guages wind out for a couple seconds and then return back to their resting point. Not even a tick is heard. Lights are fine, stereo is fine.. Any ideas??? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

checked the battery 12.75V, and now the the needles stopped pegging out, but still nothing. Have to call tomorrow i guess for a tow to the dealership. Probably better off it it doesn't start now, cause then they'll throw the crap at me that nothing wrong w/ it :rolleyes:

Well, i disconnected the battery, let it sit for 1/2 an hour and now....
everytime i go to start,i get only one loud "click" from under the hood. Tried my spare key, thinking maybe it would work, but same result. :shrug:

ffr66cobra said:
Well, i disconnected the battery, let it sit for 1/2 an hour and now....
everytime i go to start,i get only one loud "click" from under the hood. Tried my spare key, thinking maybe it would work, but same result. :shrug:

Exact same thing happened to me at a gas station. Turns out the terminals on my battery were corroded. Try and check the starter like someone else said.

Battery is taking a crap...You should see a voltage higher than 13 when testing it. It's putting out enough voltage to run accessories but not start it. Check to see it is full of water (if it isn't the no maintenance type). You could bring it to have it checked at a parts store but I'm betting you have a dead cell.

Is this the original battery?
When you hear a click, that implies the starter relay is working. 90% of the time, the problem is battery terminal connections (check and clean both + and -), or a high impedance cell within the battery.

Turn the headlights on for a few seconds, then off, before measuring the battery voltage, to bleeed off surface charge. A fully charged battery, engine off, will then read ~12.8V at 70-80 degreesF. I don't think you have a charging problem if you read 12.75.

if you cranck your car while you have your headlights on high beam and there is no dimming of the lights then your starter isn't even drawing and you must check connections there if however the lights do dim and still no cranck then maybe startewr is hooped.

extended warranty coverd my tow today to the dealership... when the flatbed arrived, the car started (barely), then i shut down, and wouldnt' re-start... Noise was definitely coming from the starter. I don't think it's the battery cause it was at 12.75, and i got absolutely nothing when trying to jump it.... I'll post the diagnosis on here when i hear back from the dealer in case anyboy else has this problem

got the car back on tuesday.. bad starter.. then wednesday it would't start again.... had it towed once again. And again they said "bad starter" :shrug: So i figure tomorrow it won't start again :mad: We'll see