Help! Gt Wheels Spinning After Modding

DZ408

Mar 11, 2016
Ok, before you all start telling me to get new tires I just want to explain, and forgive my newbieness.

So 8 months ago I bought a 16 GT 0remium automatic.

The minute I started modding I've had problems. First I got the CnL CAI and Bama tuner. Somehow messed up my throttle body. Fixed that. Left CAI off, got a tune for stock intake. Car started pinging. Have been through 15 tunes since, eventually working with one of Bama's lead programmers, who sent me a super optimized tune with really aggressive early hard shifts. Lots of fun, no more detonation, but every time I punched it off the line tires were spinning and car started veering left. Almost hit a wall and that was it for that tune. Went back to performance tune. Then installed CAI and Borla catback exhaust. Had Bama go back to original basic tune and build off that, adjusting spark timing, etc. Car responsiveness is great now, no pinging, no near death experiences.

However, when I floor it off the line, tires just spin til traction control kicks in. Turned TC off and RPMs are going waaaay too high beyond redline.

I have concluded that the stock Pirelli run flats suck ass, but When I was stock or using the initial stock racing tune, take offs were smooth when I floored it. I don't know whether the adjustments that were made are causing this, if its just the extra horsepower, or I've just worn the tires at this point(8000+ miles). I did run over a screw last month, Goodyear fixed it when others wouldn't touch it. Drove stock after that and tires weren't spinning so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

If it is the tune I don't know what changes to explain I need. I'm also considering going back to stock tune, the racing shop that did my installs told me a tune isn't mandatory with the CAI, that it's basically a marketing gimmick.

Could really use a vet's advice, thanks and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Your foot controls how much power goes to the rear wheels. Yes, the pirelli run flat's do suck #$$, but I think your foot is the problem.

All the forums I've been in have no regard for Bama tunes.....a lot of complaints. If it were me I'd go to a reputable Dyno tuner in the area that uses SCT tuning chips.

Take it to a professional tuner.....and ease into the throttle, man.

2nd that. I've heard nothing but complaints about Bama. The only tuners I'd trust for a mail order tune is Lund, AED, or wherever it is Ken Bjonnes went to. Just sayin.

Also, since the pedal is fly-by-wire, the ramp up on the throttle body vs pedal input can be adjusted in the tune. I'm betting that yours is set a little hot.

Or get some sticky tires... [emoji12] j/k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all you have done is add a CAI then you don't need a tune. If you add a cat back exhaust and a CAI you will need a tune. That will drastically change the Air Fuel ratio on your car. I personally wouldn't trust a pre-determined tune sold with a bolt on product. I like to compare it to a microwave dinner vs a fancy restaurant. They both do the same thing (fill your belly) but one is usually more enjoyable. I used Lund to tune my car and I was very happy. I have a safe / conservative tune on my car. His team tuned it remotely. I did a lot of data logging and they did a lot of tweaking to make the tune right. It sounds like you want to have the car tuned to your driving technique. There isn't anything wrong with that but I'm not sure how feasible that is especially if they are remote tuning. With a tune I would expect the tires to break free more easily as they are not limiting the torque to the rear nearly as much as Ford will. I think the majority would be pretty satisfied with the tire frying results.
How high is the car revving? The engine is capable of turning 8k. I have a soft limiter at 7400 and a hard limiter at 7800.
I think the bottom line is buy stickier tires, modify the suspension, change your driving technique, or don't tune the car. With more power comes less traction...

Thanks to everybody that chimed in. Still trying to work this out.

I went ahead and got some mickey thompson street comps, 255 front 275 rear. Same problem. However I think I may have wrongly described the problem. i think I have wheel hop. Basically if I floor it from a stop the engine will rev to almost 8k and the car kind of jumps, starts to fishtail, I let off and it straightens out. I'm assuming this is the extra horsepower. I went through like 15 tunes from Bama, kept having them dumb it down for me but this :poo: still happens. When I was stock this never happened. I think I'm restating stuff from my original post.

I haven't touched suspension, I have a CnL CAI, Borla catback, and the tune.

Am I experiencing wheel hop? What's my next step? LCAs? I just want to have fun in my car again, super frustrating. Have tried to ease into it but it just feels like I'm not maximizing my car's capabilities. I see civics taking off faster. WTF.

Thanks in advance.

Happens with or without traction control.

In regards to the video thats a bit like mine, but my gt takes a little longer to get out of it, starts to pull left, at which point I let up. When i accelerate hard when the car is in motion it doesn't hapoen during any shift points.

So. Frustrated. I need to find somebody that knows there :poo: to drive my car for me.

Subframe Bushings, Vertical Links and subframe braces should cure all of the issue you're speaking of. If you have never been in a car that has wheel hop before I can see how it is hard to describe. Long story short, if it wheels hops bad enough you will positively destroy the rear in the car..