Help Header Install, What does it take

PSCBrenden

May 6, 2004
Dallas
I'm looking to buy some new headers for my 04 GT, but i have several questions as always.

1. Which headers to buy?
2. Difficult to install?
3. Do you have to remove engine or components?
4. Any welding, cutting involved.
5. Will they bolt to stock H pipe.
6. Any other parts needed besides the headers themselves.

Im pretty limited to my shop expierience, Just little things like changing battery, oil, air filter.
I want to know how tough this would be and what it all intails. Please be as descriptive as possible....This would be by far my biggest shop expierence to date.

• Sponsors (?)

PSCBrenden said:
I'm looking to buy some new headers for my 04 GT, but i have several questions as always.

1. Which headers to buy?
2. Difficult to install?
3. Do you have to remove engine or components?
4. Any welding, cutting involved.
5. Will they bolt to stock H pipe.
6. Any other parts needed besides the headers themselves.

Im pretty limited to my shop expierience, Just little things like changing battery, oil, air filter.
I want to know how tough this would be and what it all intails. Please be as descriptive as possible....This would be by far my biggest shop expierence to date.Thanks :shrug:
:D

1. There are many header manufacturors from which to choose from...MAC, Hooker, Bassani, JBA, BBK...the list goes on and on.
2. Header installation can be a real pain in the rear. If youv'e never done this type of work before, take it to a pro or enlist the help of a friend who has installed headers before.
3. Engine removal is not necessary and some component removal (starter, steering shaft) is necessary.
4. Usually no welding or cutting is required unless the headers don't have the O2 bungs welded in place. You may have to "massage" a couple of pipes with a gentle blow from a hammer. Quality headers usually don't require this.
5. Shorty headers will bolt to the stock pipes. Mid length or long tubes will not.
6. MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp, also known as "check engine") eliminators.
Hope this helps you out some. :D :D