Help I want to put this T5 in our Cobra II

• Sponsors (?)

One other thing. You can knock out the center hole on the firewall out but on my car the two other holes had to be drilled. After I tried knocking them out and the punch go through off center. Just drill them. Mine isn't as clean as it would have been if just drilled the two smaller ones.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
You can buy the pioneer cable and measure it from there, I think. More important is that there are two slots in the end of the tube to fit the two noses (marked red) and one groove for the two arms (marked black). You can see that also in post #23 if you look closer.
Unbenannt.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@extra_stout U joints are new. Driveshaft balanced and bushing feels tight. Currently on jack stands with front suspension torn apart awaiting a back ordered control arm. I'm 80% sure it's pinion angle. The car has an appointment for alignment and pinion angle check at a local performance shop on July 20th. Once I get it sorted I will mention the fix here just in case it applies.

I measured my old stock cable which I haven't thrown out yet.
Cable sheath is 44-3/8".
Cable is 53-3/4".
Cable assembly support is approximately 16" from the firewall adjuster.

Okay the cable jacket adjuster is 5".
I don't currently have the tube thru the fire wall dimensions as I don't currently have a car. I'm guessing at about 3". But you should wait for someone else to chime in with the dimensions.
Look at post 23 where Extra Stout showed a pic of his.

5inches huh? I think I can fabricate that bad boy once I have clutch cable (pioneer ca305) in hand.

Not seeing fire wall penetration in diagram.

IMG_8054.jpg

The adjusting sleeve has a portion of the sleeve that protrudes through the firewall. It is a fairly close tolerance but not too tight if I recall. I'm sure someone will be able to post pics before I'm able to get to it, but I'll try to get a couple pics of mine for you too. I'm not going to remove it though, so it won't be much different than what anyone else can send. :shrug: But here's a Googlefu pic of what I mean. This is obviously not for a II, but it illustrates what I'm talking about on the back side.

IMG_0105.jpg

It's funny and often also frustrating to mess around with old cars. I try to imagine how it was without interwebz, but I can't.
At the end of 2blue2s T5 swap this will not be a T5 swap thread, instead it is about fabricating a firewall adjuster tube "thing" and getting the right clutch cable...
If you have all the measurements and it you are sure it works, I would like to make a drawing and put it in here.

Here are pics with measurements. Should be easy to make if your able. I stole this from my Cobra when I swapped in the manual instead of trying to make one myself.
IMG_20200704_204417053.jpg

IMG_20200704_204438622.jpg

That gets me this far but probably wasting time and materials with out clutch cable in my hand.
Looks to need to be more petite to fit between firewall flanges.
I think I'm headed the right way.:shrug:

3ObV9T89QA20j8x%KBGCWg.jpg

Last edited:
It really is a simple piece. As long as the threaded sleeve fits inside the tube you're golden. The front edge has a few notches in it that act as stops for the threaded nut on the cable. You can kinda make them out in @IICrew pics, but his look rounded. Mine looks more like a rook chess piece, you can kinda make out what I mean in @extra_stout pic. It shouldn't take too much work with a grinder and cut off wheel. And if you're looking to make it "properly" you'll need a lip that the thin piece can grab, example again in @extra_stout pic.

I have tomorrow off and am thinking I'll take mine out for a drive, I'll try to get under the hood and snap a few pics. Is there anything you want to see that you haven't yet?