Help! Ignition Cylinder Stuck In Off Position

jrhill87

Feb 8, 2017
I have a 1989 Mustang and the ignition will not turn from the off position with the key in. As you insert the key or remove it there is a feeling that it is binding on something but it does go all the way in. Looking inside the cylinder there doesn't seem to be anything in the way. The ignition lock actuator is still intact. I have the switch out and can grab the pin on the lock actuator and wiggle it back and forth but it will not move. Assuming the tumblers in the cylinder have fallen and Ill have to drill it out. But want to make sure there isn't something with the lock actuator that I'm not seeing.

• Sponsors (?)

Can you move the cylinder to the acc position?
Try 'raking' the key in and out several times putting pressure up and down.
Also try shaking the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key, sometimes the steering lock gets kinda jammed.
Do not put too much pressure on the key itself, hold the switch 'ears' with one hand and jiggling the key around while turning the ears forward and back acc to on. Tell us if this works or not.
Do not drill the switch you'll damage stuff

If The steering wheel gets cocked because the front wheels are trying to return to center position, it will jamb the lock cylinder so that it is very difficult to turn. The steering wheel gets locked when the ignition is off. This is an attempt to foil guys like @karthief who come to tow your prize toy away...

The fix is simple; turn the steering wheel one way or the other just enough to relieve the tension on the lock mechanism. Then you can turn the ignition switch on or off with no problem.

Reactions: 1 user
If that's the case you will have to drill it out. Unless, you don't mind looking like you stole it.

You'd have to rig the steering wheel lock and unscrew the ignition switch....then use a small screw driver to push inside the ignition switch starting the vehicle....essentially, stealing your own car.

Once you know how simple it is, you'll never go without an alarm or kill switch ever again.

The key switch is a simple little device that works with very small cylindrical pucks that ride on springs, the key has notches the the pucks ride up and down on when you stick the key in, they are different lengths and the key is cut to match the 'pushed down' length of the puck, they are not real hard and the do wear and chip, the key is brass with a chrome coating, the key should wear out before the pucks, this is what may have happened, I don't know, I would have a a duplicate made at a key shop, not home depot, and try this first, should only cost 10 or 15 bucks,
If you look at the bottom of the column directly under the key switch there is a hole, inside that hole is a pin the holds the key switch in the column, if you are going to drill the lock out that is where you drill, its very small and you don't have to drill very far, take your time and you will not damage any thing.

@jrichker I dont think you understood what i was trying to say. The ignition with the key in WILL NOT turn to the ACC or On position. Moving the steering wheel back and forth doesnt do anything.

That is exactly what I was referring to. I have seen it happen in 2 fox body Mustangs and a Honda Odyssey van.

Back in the 'old' days when I worked AAA I got calls all the time where they pulled up to a parking curb jamming the front tire against it and the couldn't get the key to turn or get the car outta park.
If you were close to me I'd come over and help ya.

Before drilling it, I'd shoot wd40 in there and let it soak for a while then try again. Got nothing to loose. If it does free it up, I'd replace it anyway so it wont cause trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
I got it just replaced the ignition key cylinder. Everything works like a charm now. I assume the tumblers fell. Got a screwdriver and hammer and popped the little retaining pin one time and it all came out with no damage to anything else. Just had to get some pliers to pull the little rubber clip and the piece that broke off in the key lock actuator. Appreciate the feedback fellas.

This is the second time this happens to me. I was able to fight it last time and unlocked it. This time no luck, I was wondering what the hole underneath was for @John Dirks Jr ? I thought in the past I had a 91 and actually had a push button to release the lock but I could be wrong. Any other trix anyone ? I thought about pushing the car a bit, try to anyway.

The tiny hole under the lock cylinder is to release the key cylinder from the column. First try moving the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key. Check your switch under the dash too, sometimes they break internally and jam up, you will need a torx bit that is for security screws, get them at O'Reilly s or AutoZone
Can you turn the key to accessory?

The tiny hole under the lock cylinder is to release the key cylinder from the column. First try moving the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key. Check your switch under the dash too, sometimes they break internally and jam up, you will need a torx bit that is for security screws, get them at O'Reilly s or AutoZone
Can you turn the key to accessory?
Nope can't turn the key, it goes in but it feels empty like the cylinders are not moving inside the lock mechanism. I'm going to try what this video showed on YouTube check it out. Hope this works

View: https://youtu.be/pxJE9rDZW80

Nope can't turn the key, it goes in but it feels empty like the cylinders are not moving inside the lock mechanism. I'm going to try what this video showed on YouTube check it out. Hope this works

View: https://youtu.be/pxJE9rDZW80

Wow I can't believe that worked, what would we do without YouTube in the internet? In my case this worked three hits and unlocked. Now my Sunday morning drive is on!

what would we do without YouTube in the internet?
04-2-car-explode.gif