Help! Ignition Cylinder Stuck In Off Position

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, I see I need it every time. How hard is it to replace the ignition switch? Hope this isn't a costly one. I will check more postings and check for video, hope I can do this one myself, thanks
@mikestang63 , will have to do that, thanks
Go back and read this whole post from beginning to end.

If the lock cylinder is what you want to replace, the answer is in there.

If you want to replace the ignition switch itself, see https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/ignition-delay.897612/#post-9046498

Reactions: 1 user
To remove the lock cylinder in the column, disconnect the battery of course, turn key to on position, take a paperclip and stick it in that tiny hole under the lock cylinder and push the plunger and wiggle the lock cylinder out, before you install the new lock cylinder take a large blade screwdriver and make sure you can manipulate the switch to start, off and accessory positions easily. Don't force it. It should rotate smoothly.
Make sure you turn it back to the start position to insert the new cylinder.

Reactions: 1 user
So I looked up these Foxbody's Ignition switches, and online they go from $30 to even $80. I went to my local Autozone, got one for $18 dollars. Took it out, replaced it, and now i got two new keys and a working ignition switch. Although when i get some time, i want to buy a second ignition switch, and actually take it apart, and replace the pins to work with my original keys. Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

Attachments

• 20170805_174317.jpg
    20170805_174317.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
Last edited: