73MAF, 65TB
Edelbrock upper/lower with spacer
24LB inj
tremec, alum d/s
373s
long tubes, etc
triax and Steeda quadrant ,cable, f/w adjuster

weight reduction, kmember, coilovers, etc

The car will also be driven by my wife who absolutely hates a stiff clutch pedal. I am trying to get a setup that will have as close to a stock feel as possible but will still hold the extra HP. I am not claiming 300rwhp but I need a clutch that will hold that. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a Centerforce Dual friction in my wife's '90 LX w/ GT40 heads/E303/MSD6A/Mac shorties/BBK h-pipe/Flowmasters, etc. It works great and she has no problems with it. Pedal pressure is a tad lighter than stock, and it's smooth as silk. Kind of pricey, but mine currently has more than 90,000 miles on it without a hiccup, so the cost really isn't bad in relation to the service life.

Swear to God: My dual friction is just a tad lighter than stock and smooth. It was apart 10k miles ago due to a failed throwout bearing (Ford part), and there was no reason to do anything else while in there, except to put it all back together. In fact, I've had a Motorsport aluminum clutch quadrant and adjustable cable sitting in my garage for 2 years now, and since it has been working so good with the stock quadrant, I am reluctant to start screwing around with it. I figure it should run well over the 100k mark, and my wife has never had a problem (Nor have I, in my occasional "spirited" blasts). I am a definite dual friction devotee (as were 2 of my harder core 5.0 buddies who have now gone on to other rides).

ok, looks like centerforce is going to be the way to go. I just want to ensure my wife, all 105 LBS of her, can operate the pedal and drive the car.

Thanks for the replies and input

I have had a King Cobra (30% holding power above stock) and a Centerforce Stage II (holds 60% more power above stock).

The Dual Friction holds 90% of stock power level...and is probably a bit harsh on your tranny. That is why I went with the Stage II on mine. It doesn't slip after abuse like the King Cobra did.

The Centerforce Stage II has a lighter pedal feel than the King Cobra...

My friends Centerforce Dual Friction (before his tranny got shot) had a softer pedal feel as well...

They are all good clutches:nice:

I have the king cobra in my 90LX and I didnt really notice an increase in pedal effort, it really doesnt feel much different than the stock clutch in my 4 banger. My 92 hatch has the centerforce stage II and its a monster compared to the king cobra. No way my wife can drive it. Doesnt bother me too much but when I drive it and then get into one of my other cars, they feel like the clutch pedal isnt even connected to anything. Pretty sure Im puttin down more than 300hp and even with slicks I have not been able to detect any slippage. I wouldnt use the stage II in a daily driver but everyone has a different tolerance level. I promise the wife will hate it though.

MrKwik said:
I have the king cobra in my 90LX and I didnt really notice an increase in pedal effort, it really doesnt feel much different than the stock clutch in my 4 banger. My 92 hatch has the centerforce stage II and its a monster compared to the king cobra. No way my wife can drive it. Doesnt bother me too much but when I drive it and then get into one of my other cars, they feel like the clutch pedal isnt even connected to anything. Pretty sure Im puttin down more than 300hp and even with slicks I have not been able to detect any slippage. I wouldnt use the stage II in a daily driver but everyone has a different tolerance level. I promise the wife will hate it though.

Since you have these on two different cars (the clutches) you might want to check the condition of your clutch cable on the CF equipped car (or something in the routing).

The only change I made when I did the clutch swaps was the swap from the King Cobra to the CF Stage II and the Stage II is noticeably softer. Same cable/routing and everything. My CF also feels the same as my friends 90 Gt with a CF DF.

Another friend has a King Cobra in his Gt and it feels the "same" as when I had my King Cobra.

The CF are softer pedal feels than the King Cobra (though still pretty light)...but the CF can give you a bit of clutch chatter with slow engagements at low rpms...