Help me choose the right suspension setup

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
About a year ago I made a thread about pretty much the same thing, http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=604601. The only thing that actually happened from that thread was I got the QA1 k-member. I've made up my mind on most of the parts I want to buy this year, but I'd like to hear some feedback and/or suggestions before I buy anything.

Here's what I would like the car do. I want a fairly smooth ride, good handling without much body roll in the turns, and be able to launch fairly well at the drag strip. I also want to raise the car up about 1" all around since it's practically sitting on the ground right now. The plan is to have this done, or mostly done, by May 10th so I can compete in a local auto-x.

My setup currently is as follows:
QA1 k-member
Sportline springs
AGX shocks and struts
BBK LCA's, adjustable UCA's
Hotchkis C/C plates

Here's what I would like to install this spring:
MM Coil-Overs up front, 300# or 350# spring(need advice on spring rate/length)
QA1 tubular a-arms
MM 4-bolt C/C plates
Tokico Illumina's
SFC's(brand?)
LCA's w/adjustable spring perch(brand?)
Panhard bar(MM?)

In a year or so I'd like to add a torque arm. There's no way I can afford one right now unless I win the lotto.

I'm not sure what to do for rear springs. I was thinking about leaving the Sportlines on it, but installing the adjustable LCA's to raise the rear end up. Or if I run out of cash just throw the stock springs on it temporarily.

I'm not too worried about how the car does at the track. I'll be happy if I can get around 1.8 60' times with DR's. My main focus is to make the car enjoyable to drive on the street, especially back roads! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Since you want adjustability (i.e. raise the vehicle 1") and good manners on the back road, why not get coilovers for the rear also (i.e. nix the adjustable perch LCAs). The adjustable perch is prettly limited in the amount of adjustment where the coilovers are adjustable upto 6" or somewhere in that area.

I personally install the 400lb springs in the front and 250 (sport valve) in the rear along with replacing the entire suspension components. Let me tell you you will love those back roads and autocrossing. Remember you can always change the spring rate for the coilovers - you are not locked in to anyone size.

I remember going down the parkway one day and this guy in a Lexus was all up on my rear. I floored it hitting a snake turn and homeboy couldn't hang. First of all I pulled away from him but most importantly the car took the snake easily and effortlessly - no body roll. I guess he figured it's an ole' Mustang. Shock the mess out of him

On another occassion I was running with this car and hit some curves and when we got to the light the guy asked me what type of suspension I had because it was tight. He could see my rear:D

Now, I am a little different than most 'Stangers. I like my car tight and firm. I don't care for a cadillac type ride or the compromised type rides (i.e lowered but yet a comfortable ride etc. etc.). I don't care about what affect it has on drag racing at the track. It will run what it will run. I want it tight and firm for handling. I know what it's like to run on the stock springs and struts - wagging dog tail etc. Never liked it. Never will.

I vote coilovers - front and rear.

I don't want my car to ride smooth like a caddy, I just don't want to feel every bump in the road. Because we have plenty of bumps around here :nonono:. I have sportlines now and I can live with how it rides, a little stiffer ride would be ok if it improves handling.

The reason I don't want rear coil overs is because of the cost. $260 vs. around $500 for coil overs and new shocks...I think I'll stick with standard springs for now. The adjustable LCA's should give me enough adjustability to achieve the ride height I want.

I really don't want to spend over $1500 (plus $250 on a Summit gift card for $1750) this spring. So here's the order I think I'm gonna go in:
1. Cobra brake kit. My stock brakes are just about shot.
2. Front coil overs, struts, C/C plates
3. SFC's
4. Tubular A-arms
5. LCA's or Panhard bar. I probably can't afford both this year.

Methodical, what length springs are you using up front? Any clearance problems with your 275's? I have 17x9 Bullitt's with 275's up front. I don't know if I want to go up to a 400# spring....If I went with a 350# spring up front, does anybody how well the sportlines in the rear would match that?

I don't want my car to ride smooth like a caddy, I just don't want to feel every bump in the road. Because we have plenty of bumps around here :nonono:. I have sportlines now and I can live with how it rides, a little stiffer ride would be ok if it improves handling.

The reason I don't want rear coil overs is because of the cost. $260 vs. around $500 for coil overs and new shocks...I think I'll stick with standard springs for now. The adjustable LCA's should give me enough adjustability to achieve the ride height I want.

I really don't want to spend over $1500 (plus $250 on a Summit gift card for $1750) this spring. So here's the order I think I'm gonna go in:
1. Cobra brake kit. My stock brakes are just about shot.
2. Front coil overs, struts, C/C plates
3. SFC's
4. Tubular A-arms
5. LCA's or Panhard bar. I probably can't afford both this year.

Methodical, what length springs are you using up front? Any clearance problems with your 275's? I have 17x9 Bullitt's with 275's up front. I don't know if I want to go up to a 400# spring....If I went with a 350# spring up front, does anybody how well the sportlines in the rear would match that?

I'm at work now and truly don't know off hand but kinda of think they are 12" springs. I'd have to check my paper work to be sure. The 350lb springs is what I think most folks go with.

I have no clearance issues (rubbing etc.) with the 275s but I replaced my front LCA with the newer 93 Cobra lca, which supposedly gave me additional clearance.

I noticed you said that you are getting the Cobra brake kit. One word of caution - make sure your wheels will clear the calipers. I had to use a 1/4" spacer to clear my calipers - no big deal though.

When you say that you will stay with the standard springs are you referring to the sportlines or stock? I assume sportlines but had to ask. How long have you had the springs on the car? I ask this because those springs and struts up front will be newer and tighter and it may feel ackward with the back being a little looser but I don't know anything about those springs. Maybe consider getting the rear coilovers now and get the LCAs later.:shrug:

With those tubular A-arms (assume they are MM) you will need to modify (grind) some of the stock to make clearance for the A-arm - per MM. Have you considered the 93 Cobra LCAs I think they are cheaper than the A-arms and requires no modifications.

I know my wheels will clear because Bullitt mustang had Cobra brakes on it. I have 17x9 Bullitt's :).

Yeah I meant the sportlines. They have about 40k or more on them now. The car's up over 168k now. I'll wait and see how much I've $$$ I've got left after the first three items on my list. Right now it doesn't look too promising....

I was actually planning on getting the QA1 A-arms, but Im sure if it's worth it. They're almost half the cost of the MM parts, but they don't look near as strong. I don't have a stock k-member anymore so I don't need to modify anything for the tubular a-arms. I will have to grind on the 03 Cobra arms to get them to fit.

The reason for new A-arms is mainly weight reduction. Plus my bushings are shot and new arms come with new bushings. :D

I know my wheels will clear because Bullitt mustang had Cobra brakes on it. I have 17x9 Bullitt's :).

Yeah I meant the sportlines. They have about 40k or more on them now. The car's up over 168k now. I'll wait and see how much I've $$$ I've got left after the first three items on my list. Right now it doesn't look too promising....

I was actually planning on getting the QA1 A-arms, but Im sure if it's worth it. They're almost half the cost of the MM parts, but they don't look near as strong. I don't have a stock k-member anymore so I don't need to modify anything for the tubular a-arms. I will have to grind on the 03 Cobra arms to get them to fit.

The reason for new A-arms is mainly weight reduction. Plus my bushings are shot and new arms come with new bushings. :D

in that last thread i know i tried to steer you clear of coil-overs, but since then i have put them on my car and absolutely love them. i also bought the mm a-arms and some illumina struts/shocks. i used the 10" 300lb springs, but with your 351 i would go with 350-400lb.

i did not do the rear coil-overs either because of cost, and i am adding the adj lca's in a few weeks.

as for the a-arms in the front, switching from 03 cobra arms to the mm arms netted me .5 deg more pos caster without doing anything to my cc plates---if qa1 can do that then go for it. if not then to hell with them, caster is gold and the more the better. might wanna throw in a bumpsteer kit if you don't already have one.

in that last thread i know i tried to steer you clear of coil-overs, but since then i have put them on my car and absolutely love them. i also bought the mm a-arms and some illumina struts/shocks. i used the 10" 300lb springs, but with your 351 i would go with 350-400lb.

i did not do the rear coil-overs either because of cost, and i am adding the adj lca's in a few weeks.

as for the a-arms in the front, switching from 03 cobra arms to the mm arms netted me .5 deg more pos caster without doing anything to my cc plates---if qa1 can do that then go for it. if not then to hell with them, caster is gold and the more the better. might wanna throw in a bumpsteer kit if you don't already have one.

That's good to hear. What rear springs do you have?

The QA1 arms don't have a cross bar like the MM arms, so they're more of a V instead of an A. I'm just not sure I trust them for hard street driving/auto-x....

That's good to hear. What rear springs do you have?

The QA1 arms don't have a cross bar like the MM arms, so they're more of a V instead of an A. I'm just not sure I trust them for hard street driving/auto-x....

i left my pro kit rear springs in. believe it or not they are a much harsher ride than my 300lb front coil-overs. i am debating stepping up to 400's--i prolly will once i get my turbo in.

i have my struts set at 5 and my rear shocks at 2 if that gives you any indication of what the ride diff is.

on a side note my car corners much better, rides much better, and is easier to work on since i did the front end stuff.