Help me figure out what wheels to buy

NinjaViper

May 9, 2011
I have an 87 Blue/Titanium GT Convertible. I bought the car completely stock just a couple months ago. First thing that I changed on the car was the wheels, I took off the turbines and put on some pony wheels. The car looks okay with them, but it doesn't have the bling I'm looking for. I'm thinking I want to go with a chrome or polished wheel, and 17" and I have narrowed my decision to either the 93 Cobra wheels or the typical 5 spoke Cobra wheel that it seems like everybody and their dog has on their car. Don't get me wrong, I love the wheels just not the popularity.
With the 93 Cobra wheel, I think they look amazing on a single tone car, just not sure how they would look on a two tone car.
Other than looks, is there something I should be keeping in mind with either of the two?

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Sponsors (?)

I thought about that, but I figured by the time I get the parts and pay to install them (because I'm so mechanically inclined, not) and get some used wheels I would be looking at $1500+ for used stuff. If I buy new 4 lug wheels I can get them with tires shipped to me for $1300. Correct me if my math is wrong.

I thought about that, but I figured by the time I get the parts and pay to install them (because I'm so mechanically inclined, not) and get some used wheels I would be looking at $1500+ for used stuff. If I buy new 4 lug wheels I can get them with tires shipped to me for $1300. Correct me if my math is wrong.

Lincoln rotors, 2 ranger axles and drums and you can go 5 lug for $300 or less. No brain surgery to install them, pretty much you need a ratchet set.
Then in the future you can upgrade the actual brakes.

No way in hell i'd drop $1300 on 4 lug wheels.
The 93 cobras are ok, but i think you are right, not really the right thing for a two tone.

I bought sn95 spindles with brake calipers and disk at the junkyard for 200 dollars. Search on Ebay sometimes you can get lucky and find affordable parts.As for installation their is no science to it, you can do a google search and you can probably find 5- lug build threads and show you how its done.

Me personally, i dislike 4 lug cobra wheels.

I wouldn't do chrome or polished either, you need something that is close in color to the gray on the bottom half of your car.

Lincoln rotors, 2 ranger axles and drums and you can go 5 lug for $300 or less. No brain surgery to install them, pretty much you need a ratchet set.
Then in the future you can upgrade the actual brakes.

No way in hell i'd drop $1300 on 4 lug wheels.
The 93 cobras are ok, but i think you are right, not really the right thing for a two tone.

Tru Dat :nice:

This is the same car with Cobra wheels, looks great!

Gee... that's never been done before. :rolleyes:

Me personally, i dislike 4 lug cobra wheels.

I wouldn't do chrome or polished either, you need something that is close in color to the gray on the bottom half of your car.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :mad:

i say go 5 lug and a set of bullets like this
6900-100-1120-800x600.jpg

These would be nice but again... done to death.

Here is a picture of mine... Yes i know the wheels are dated, but should give you an idea what a polished wheel would look like.

F-250stang002.jpg

Wow! You got those big ole truck wheels onto your Fox? That's AMAZING! :D

Seriously though:

I would do the 5 lug on the cheap like 2000xp mentioned earlier. Find a set of polished silver wheels for car (chrome would be too bling IMO, for anything but a red, white, or yellow, Fox). Deep dish 9s or 10s in the back. 7s or 8s in the front with the correct backspacing and a 275 series tire, all tucked into the wheel well.

Since I've not been much help so far... Here's my suggestion:

17x10_scwheel_silverm_sm.jpg

IMHO

I would go 5 lug then slap these: :nice:

M-1007-A179_SVT.jpg

DETROIT825MACH-1500.jpg

8793stern7.jpg

mustangtuning_2163_82694521.jpg

5-2.jpg

Attachments

• M-1007-A179_SVT.jpg
    M-1007-A179_SVT.jpg