Help me figure out whats wrong with my gauges.

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Ok, it all started saturday when I was installing my shift light. I pulled the cluster out, and got to finding a hot wire. I accidentally touched the first wire on the letf harness (black) and the wire next to it at the same time, I saw a little spark and heard the fuse blow. No big deal. Then I hooked everything back up and noticed my gauges werent on. I realised i forgot the change the fise. So I did. They STILL didnt work.

Checked the fuse again, not blown. Hmmmm. So I pluued the cluster out again thinking maybe I had forgot to plug them back in, which I didnt. So I started testing the wires, I noticed that the first wire on the black harness, the one I touched when the fuse blew, was not hot anymore. Before all of this, it would be hot when the marker ligts would come on. So I checked the fuse again. No go. I disconnected the shift light and my reverse glow gauges, and got everything back hooled up. Nothing. And I know the harness is getting electricity, atleast the tach is, cause the shift light works. The temp gauge moves but it dosent work. It goes to H as soon as I crank the engine. Any suggestions as to what i might have screwed up. I dont think the cluster is bad because ALL the lights at the top still cme on, blinkers, high beams, and the battery light comes on when I start it, but the seatbelt, airbag, etc dont come on when I start it.

Let me know what you think.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, this is what ive gathered so far. Its a bad ground. And/or I blew the rehostat (sp?) for the temp gauge. The temp gauge starts off at teh wrong spot, but the amount it moves up is about the same it would move when everything worked. Does anyone know where are all of the enging and chassi grounds are?