Help me spend my money!!!

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
LOL! This should be interesting. As many of you know my car is sort of in between builds right now. I'm running it with a mis-matched combo because I had run out of money and wanted it back on the road. Here is a list of everything that needs replaced/added/painted/etc. I have $3800 right now to spend, and I may have more very soon after selling some parts and getting my $600 credit back from Uncle Sam, but let's keep the budget for the time being at ~$4000.

I need to replace the following:
-AFR 165 heads with their killer new heads due out any day now (I think its still a secret so I don't want to list anything yet until I know I'm allowed)
-pedestal mount rockers (replace with shaft mount)
-24lb injectors (replace with at least 60lb injectors)
-ENTIRE fuel system from the tank to the lines and rails
-rear gears need to be replaced with a 3.27 or 3.31 for turbo

I'm replacing my 65mm TB with a fox style 75mm unit and I already have all of the pieces for that minus the cruise control cable.

I need to replace all of these before I can put my turbo kit on. I already own the turbo kit, its a PTK Gen II kit with a swain coated hot side and a T64e turbo.

These are things I want to buy and add:
-saleen rear bumper
-saleen side skirts
-6pt roll bar (want this done before the turbo goes on)

Things that need painted or modified:
-my '95 cobra hardtop needs painted
-my K member needs modified before I can put the turbo on as the driver side header hits the motor mount.

I think that the head/rockers are going to cost me ~$2300+. What would you do with the remaining money?

I also want to have the car done by the end of May so that I'm ready for Carlisle. I don't care if I have the turbo on this year as its still a monster NA, and should be even more of one once I add these new heads and fox TB.

Now you can see why I gave up on the idea of buying another 94-95 and want to concentrate on getting this one done first.

• Sponsors (?)

I think that the head/rockers are going to cost me ~$2300+. What would you do with the remaining money?
wow ... it sounds like the car is becoming more of a race car and less of a street car ... is that what you want it to become?

complete fuel systems are not cheap ... that and head bolts and gaskets and all that kind of stuff will quickly eat up alot of the money.

how strong is the transmission, and what about the axels?

Chris, that's the beauty of these heads, I'll be getting the flow of a race style head but in a street head package! The rockers are overkill, but I want to buy them once and be done with it. I could save over $350 by not getting shaft mount rockers, but if I ever want to turn the wick up in RPM, spring pressures, etc I'll have the same amount of money in buying stud girdles, better studs, etc as I would if i just bite the bullitt now and get the shaft style. Plus the valvetrain stability of a shaft style setup is a win-win no matter what the combo is. This package will be deadly streetable and if anything more reliable with the components it has. Think high velocity, high flow, and a lightweight and stable valvetrain... I'm drooling just thinking about it.

As for the gaskets, I already have a set of fel-pro MLS's for it, I have ARP head studs that will be re-used.

Transmission is a TKO with a pro-motion Kustom clutch, dynotech HD aluminum driveshaft, eaton differential and 31 spline superior axles. The driveline should suffice for now, although when the turbo goes on I'm sure I'll find a weak link.

I don't know what to do for a fuel system. I was leaning towards a Glenn's performance dual 255 walbro setup, but I've heard of some issues with the twin pump style setups. I have other freinds that have had problems with the aeromotive A1000 stuff and they are telling me to only run a weldon pump which is big bucks. I do not and will not skimp here though, so if I don't have enough money for the right parts, I will wait a little while until I do.

Its reasons like these that are making me want to just get the heads and TB done, and then put the roll bar and rest of the body pieces on. Its totally streetable now and nothing would change with these parts. I am afraid that I'll need to buy injectors now though with the head swap since I expect to pickup 20-30rwhp with these changes and the 24lb injectors I have are already getting towards their limit.

Paul- how about you send me your address and I'll keep my money but I'd gladly send you the bills, how does that sound? :)

Paul.....I think you answered the question in your last paragraph. Atleast thats the way I would approach it.

The only thing bad about doing the body stuff is that I don't really want to have the roof, side skirts, and rear bumper painted instead of the entire car. My hood and front bumper don't match perfectly now, and if I get these parts painted seperately I may have three different shades on the car. That's the only reason I'm not on the phone ordering my back bumper and side skirts right now. I'd like to paint the entire car so that it all matches, but I've been quoted ~$4000 for a full paint job thats show quality. I would also like to have a nice set of aftermarket seats before I do the roll bar so that I know they fit, and I don't have funds to do that and everything else. I can't decide... does that surprise you? :p

Sell the 64 and get a 76 :D .

Goes with the down the road I may want to turn up the wick thing your using with the shaft style rockers.

I would wait on paint also for the fact your not done wrenchin' on it yet. Last thing you want to do is put a nasty ding/scratch in something while your putting on the new heads or turbo kit.

Fuel system is worth it no matter what if you ask me. That is something overlooked and if you know your going turbo...get it over with now.

i'd do the heads (if they come out soon enough), rockers, tb, 30# injectors and roll bar now

then the k-member, fuel system and turbo after carlisle

did i miss this ... what about the cam?

re the fuel system, i'd ask on hardcore what they would recommend.

then the body parts and paint next year

if i end up keeping my stang, i want a roll bar for it too ... there's something about a rollbar that really gets your attention:

hotrod-back.jpg

-AFR 165 heads
-pedestal mount rockers
-24lb injectors
-65mm TB

you need to replace the following.. Im looking for the following.. ;) If you are interested in unloading them to gain some more funds for your setup I may be interested in them assuming they are in good shape. PM me if you like

btw.. what an intense setup you have planned :eek: you were making the mags with your past setup, they are gonna crap their pants when they see what you have in the works

BBRC rails, BBRC fuel tank, braided lines, Aeromotive Elim pump, Aeromotive reg, Y-block and fittings around $1500...lol

While I agree the Weldon is great I have not had issues with the Aeromotive pumps, the key is making sure you use the proper wire so the pump has the voltage it needs.

I say save the balance for the fuel system...

AFR and their release dates...LMFAO Maybe one day they will actually meet one, tired on waiting for heads with their empty promises to my dealer.

FWIW, I would finish the top end, get the seats, and do the roll bar. That way the motor is ready for the turbo setup, and the rest of the car is good too. Then I would do the fuel system, k-member modifications, and turbo next. Then the body panels and paint last.

As for the roll bar, I don't know if you were planning on going with a custom made one, or something like a MM bar. I know my dad spent over a grand to have his 6 point bar put in his Chevelle and while it looks nice, and the quality is top notch, he sometimes regrets not doing it himself. I'm not sure if you know how to weld or not but a few years ago I learned, and its the best tool you can learn! If you were considering getting a custom bar done, rethink it and maybe consider getting an MM weld-in bar and getting a small TIG welder. TIG is the only weld thats NHRA certified, plus you can fix ANYTHING with a welder. You can buy the MM bar or around $400 if I remember correctly, and you can get a decent welder to weld up to 1/4" thick for around $500 bucks. If you think your going to be doing any kind of fabrication in the future, this is definitely something to consider. Good luck buddy, can't wait to see it...maybe I'll even make it out to Carisle this year! :nice:

Thanks everyone! I placed my order for my heads yesterday, so I've officially started this process!

Rich- that does sound like a good plan. I was on cobra's site last night drooling over the milano seat, but it'd take damn near all of my money I have just to get a set! Damn they are expensive. I guess I'll have to look at something cheaper.

Tom- It does suck. I think this is sort of the reason I've been on a kick to get a new car. I have so much into mine and yet I still need so much more before it's even remotely done.

Matt- LOL! Its funny but when I bought the TKO I told my wife that it was something I'd never have to worry about breaking as I'd never make enough power to hurt it... OOPS!

blksn955.o- Oh trust me, that's always in the back of head. I built a 331 specifically to have the cubes to support the T76, yet no overwhelm the T4 flange of it. I had months of calling, research, planning, etc in order to pick the right cubic inches that would work with my T64e and the T76 which will be on the car at some point. I spoke with the nice folks at precision and they told me that they'd like to see me run the T64 as a starter, especially since my shortblock is still relatively new. They said it'd be better to hurt the old turbo than the expensive T76 if there was still some debris from the rebuild running around in the oil, and it'd be a nice starting point for what I have. I know its way too small and it'll probably run like a diesel, but a bigger turbo is in the long term plans.
I agree on the fuel system and I won't skimp there.

Chris- I won't be running W's, no matter what I do with the injectors the car is getting the injector that I will run with the turbo. I may get the high impedance W's, or I may get an injector driver and run 72's/83's. I'll be able to tune around them with my AEM. As for the cam, my tried and true old FTI cam is going to remain until I am ready to put the turbo on. For one I don't think I have enough time between now and Carlisle to have Ed grind me a new one, and I want to have flow numbers from my new heads before I do anything too. I know its not ideal, but I truly think the car is still going to pick up a good amount even with keeping it in there. I definitely want a roll bar, and like you said, if they are done right they look killer!

dstang01- LOL! In all seriousness, I'm not selling any of my old parts. At some point I will have another 94-95 and it will be a coupe no less. I WILL put these parts in a coupe and go run 11's NA on a stock shortblock, I'm determined to do so. Thanks for the comments on the magazines, I hope you are right!

Rick- thanks for the response! Oh the BBRC stuff.... I drool over their tank. I met Noodles at WFC and spoke with him about the tank specifically, but I will call him about an entire fuel setup now. I know what you mean about AFR's lead time, but at least they were up front with me with the fact that its going to be a while before I have them. Being a new head and all, I'll patiently wait though. I can't wait to see how these heads perform as they sound incredible thus far.

Michael- that's not a bad idea. As for the roll bar, I have access to everything except a tube bender to do my own bar, however I'm going to have it professionally done. Just so you know a bar can be mig welded as long as its mild steel and not chrome moly. I won't do a bar unless its chrome moly simply because my car is already heavy and I need to watch every pound I add to it. If my car was a coupe, I may be more inclined to do it myself, but since it's a 'vert I'm leaving it to the professionals. The reason being that the bar becomes much more a part of the car's "look" in a 'vert than in a coupe... its got to look as good as it performs. That means the welds, bends, contours, etc all need to be spot on because its out there for everyone to see.

Man Paul, you sure didn't wait to start spending! :rlaugh: I wish I had half of your drive to get your project really moving along, so that I might get out in the garage and button up some things on mine. Of course spending money on wheels for my DD takes away from Mustang mods a little. I should be spending every penny I can find on getting the car ready to get out to Midwest Mustang Madness, but I keep running across other things I want, and apparently, I'm too easily distracted. :D

Man Paul, you sure didn't wait to start spending! :rlaugh: I wish I had half of your drive to get your project really moving along, so that I might get out in the garage and button up some things on mine. Of course spending money on wheels for my DD takes away from Mustang mods a little. I should be spending every penny I can find on getting the car ready to get out to Midwest Mustang Madness, but I keep running across other things I want, and apparently, I'm too easily distracted. :D

LOL! Matt, I guarantee that when the guys that really know me read the line I bolded above they are going to laugh their butt off. In all honesty, I'm one of the biggest procrastinators and most indecisive persons you will ever meet when it comes to my car. It took me over 2 yrs to pick my wheels, and I hurt my old combo in April of 2005 and I didn't get it running until June of 2007 because I kept changing my mind. It takes me a long time to save money for the car and therefore I'm really slow to spend it. LOL! These heads were an easy decision as they were supposed to be out a year ago and I wanted to run them on my car then. When that didn't happen I fixed my AFR165's with the LS1 style valve springs just to hold me over until these new heads were done.

I hear about being distracted though. I've spent the last 2 months looking for another 94-95 and then I started looking for a Buell Xb9... in the end I would have had two projects and neither would have gotten the attention they deserved so here I am back at where I should be... finishing my '95 'vert.

Yeah, I knew about the old combo being down for a long time, but now that it's up and running, you're really working to get it totally finished up. Once the weather gets warmer, I'll be out on the bike and less inclined to work on the car, so that's going to take away from time I could spend on it, too. The biggest thing stopping me now is an unheated garage and a $327 a month car payment that I didn't have prior to November. That's money that could've gone into a car parts fund, but my old DD was dying, so I upgraded. Oh well, it's just money. Can't take it with me when I die, but I'd sure like to have some while I'm here! :rlaugh: