help on king cobra purchase (re-post)

DrSmith

Sep 2, 2004
Maine
I had someone answer this question, but the answer is no longer on the board. Perhaps it was wiped off with the bell south problem. Anyway....I have looked at a '78 king cobra project car, for $`1500. The car is a project, interior is stripped, he has new quarter panels that need to go on. He said it is a complete car. I am buying this for a future father son project. Is this car worth that, is this a collectible car, will my son be able to show it. I notice that the parts are not out there for this year. What do you all think? The person who answered me before told me what to look for on the radiator, KNG or KG, to see if this was really a king cobra. This car will sit around for a while, as my son is quite young.
What do you all think?
Doc

• Sponsors (?)

Doc, DO IT!! Totally worth it! Totally Showable! Yes, parts are harder to find than say a 60's mustang but certainly not as hard as say an edsel, or other cars. I love showing mine after 15 years of ownership. People really do like these cars dont let the nay sayers plaugue ya. I rarely get a neg comment. Make sure you build the engine, dont put a stocker in unless your planning on concours restoration... Heres mine, and a few pics from shows, and progress...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mstng2
Keep us posted, and post pics!!

DrSmith said:
I had someone answer this question, but the answer is no longer on the board. Perhaps it was wiped off with the bell south problem. Anyway....I have looked at a '78 king cobra project car, for $`1500. The car is a project, interior is stripped, he has new quarter panels that need to go on. He said it is a complete car. I am buying this for a future father son project. Is this car worth that, is this a collectible car, will my son be able to show it. I notice that the parts are not out there for this year. What do you all think? The person who answered me before told me what to look for on the radiator, KNG or KG, to see if this was really a king cobra. This car will sit around for a while, as my son is quite young.
What do you all think?
Doc

The most expensive repairs will be the body. The places II's rust are the hatch, which is easily replacable, the rear quarters which you have, but what about the wheel wells? Rockers and door bottoms. Rust can be handled but if it has attacked the structure you could be looking at a lot of money. Good used II parts can be hard to find if your in the north as most yard don't keep the cars for long periods.

I'd suggest taking some photos or images of the car, as detailed as possible and see if you can find a body shop to give you advice.

Dave