help please car cut off on highway

ineeda5.0

Jan 7, 2010
Ok so im driving on the highway at 60mph and all of a sudden my engine cuts out.... i tried starting it and no luck...it cranks and all my accesories turn on wipers, lights , etc so i doubt its an alternator issue... my biggest worry is im hoping it is not hydrolock... considering there has been a good amount of rain these past few days and i do have a cold air intake..... what could it be... if it is hydrolock is it fixable?

• Sponsors (?)

The same thing happened to me a few months ago and it turned out that the tip had broken off the rotor. I replaced the rotor and the engine ran fine for another week when the same thing happened again. It turned out that the distributor shaft bearings had worn and there was excessive play in the shaft. A new dizzy solved it once and for all.
Pull the dizzy cap and take a look inside. If the rotor is intact, the problem could be the PIP sensor instead.

Yes and if you find that the PIP sensor is indeed at fault, I recommend that you replace the whole dizzy rather than just the sensor if the existing dizzy is the factory original.

Check for spark, fuel pressure and injector pulsing when it won't catch.

Pull codes as well.

Good luck.

What about fuel pressure? I had the same thing happen to me and it was the Fuel pressure relay. I would suggest checking for basics first i.e. fuel, spark air etc.