Help please

I have a 88 ford mustang lx with the 2.3l. Friday my timing belt broke. I replaced it the tensioner, the water pump, all the belts, the thermostat, and my lower coolant hose. I have set the timing 9 times and it seems to be wrong. Car has rough idle, no acceleration, and just sounds wrong. Any help suggestions or anuthing would be helpful. It is my only car and i am missing a lot of work.

• Sponsors (?)

In your situation, I might do a compression check. While it seems unlikely that the valve clearances are so close as to bend a valve, I'd want to rule that out. When doing that, check your plugs and wire positions, then go over everything else that may have been moved or jostled during the previous work----this time looking for vacuum leaks. Happy hunting.

In your situation, I might do a compression check. While it seems unlikely that the valve clearances are so close as to bend a valve, I'd want to rule that out. When doing that, check your plugs and wire positions, then go over everything else that may have been moved or jostled during the previous work----this time looking for vacuum leaks. Happy hunting.
Thanks for the info i will check into all that when I return home from work today. Question. I was told to loosen my distributor to fine tune my timing. How would i go about that? I have always worked on my own cars but never had to mess with the timing on any so this is all new to me.

Wrt setting the timing at distributor...your public library probably has the applicable repair/maintenance manual---mine has them, but the newer ones cannot be checked out, so I take some cash to make copies. I'd see if a local parts store has a timing light for lend or rent to get the timing correct with the spec in the book. Also note from the repair manual if your particular motor has anything needing removal or special attention before setting the timing. You might be able to set it "by ear", but remember if you didn't move the distributor during the previous repairs it should not need anything but a small movement...not a big twist (using the light would be preferred).

You are using a repair manual for guidance right?
i had trouble getting the timing marks to line up the first time I did a belt on one, took like four times to get it right.
Yes i am. I am finding with this the book is useless. Do you have any suggestions on how i get it right? I am worried of internal damage. I can't afford a new car or a rebuild so I am here for help

Hey I just saw this, was on vacation this week.
First off the 2.3 Lima is a non-interference engine so you don't have to worry about that.
Does your book have any mention about how to line up the timing marks? This might help: https://www.ranger-forums.com/sohc-2-3l-2-5l-lima-engines-135/2-3-liter-timing-marks-diagram-76148/

It's been quite a few years since I set the timing on a 2.3L (I sold mine in 2010) but it can be tricky on these cars. As karthief mentioned it's hard to keep the marks lined up when you actually put the belt on, I always had problems with that. You want to make sure the cam sprocket is lined up with the pointer on the cover, take the distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is pointed at the #1 terminal (I believe it is the top left one). For the crank, you may have to take out the #1 cylinder spark plug and turn the crank over a couple times to make sure you're at TDC, it's pretty easy to end up 180* out (I did this a few times), but at 180* out it won't even start so you must be at least close.

I'm guessing the cam sprocket is probably what is causing you trouble. At any rate, check the link above and watch some youtube videos and that should help a lot. Also, did you check the timing with a gun after you were finished? It almost always needs some fine tuning after you finish a timing belt job. So, you need a timing light for sure. There is a hold down bolt under the top of the distributor, you need a flex extension to get a socket on it, but if you loosen that just a little you can turn the distributor to adjust timing AFTER the timing belt job is all done.

If you have any other questions post up, I'll try to help out.

Reactions: 1 user