Help wiring an ignition cutoff switch

Im taking my car down to Savannah and its not the best area so im gonna wire in an ignition cutoff switch right to the starter. Whats the best way to do this, and the best place to hide the switch? Thanks guys.

Edit: Sorry the first thread didnt work, please disreguard it and post in here...thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Im taking my car down to Savannah and its not the best area so im gonna wire in an ignition cutoff switch right to the starter. Whats the best way to do this, and the best place to hide the switch? Thanks guys.

Edit: Sorry the first thread didnt work, please disreguard it and post in here...thanks.

Go inside the car, take apart the steering column covers to find the wiring that comes down from the key cylinder, and find the wire that is hot when the ignition is on AND continue to stay hot while the starter is cranking. It must be hot for both scenarios, otherwise you have the wrong wire.

Then once you have the right wire, cut it, and make sure nothing happens when you turn the key to ignition, and then wire your switch from there. On my chevy, I screwed my switch to the seat bracket but at the very top, so the seat covers it for the most part. On my mustang, I took the seat cover off, cut out some of the foam, added some epoxy and glued it to the foam support. No one will ever find my switch!!!! muahahahahahha

As far as hiding the switch, it's all about how far you want to go. If the car won't start, and it doesn't have an alarm, most thieves will just give up and move onto another car. I chose the fuel pump because where I spliced, they will never find, nor will they have the intelligence/patience to figure out a way to bypass it. A manual kill switch is so simple yet so effective. All the fancy electronic passive systems don't stand a chance to an active system like a kill switch.
Scott

Go inside the car, take apart the steering column covers to find the wiring that comes down from the key cylinder, and find the wire that is hot when the ignition is on AND continue to stay hot while the starter is cranking. It must be hot for both scenarios, otherwise you have the wrong wire.

Then once you have the right wire, cut it, and make sure nothing happens when you turn the key to ignition, and then wire your switch from there. On my chevy, I screwed my switch to the seat bracket but at the very top, so the seat covers it for the most part. On my mustang, I took the seat cover off, cut out some of the foam, added some epoxy and glued it to the foam support. No one will ever find my switch!!!! muahahahahahha

As far as hiding the switch, it's all about how far you want to go. If the car won't start, and it doesn't have an alarm, most thieves will just give up and move onto another car. I chose the fuel pump because where I spliced, they will never find, nor will they have the intelligence/patience to figure out a way to bypass it. A manual kill switch is so simple yet so effective. All the fancy electronic passive systems don't stand a chance to an active system like a kill switch.
Scott
ok cool good info....if im not mistaken, isnt there a factory fuel pump cutoff switch in the trunk?

Ive heard of someone wiring the "switch" to their cig lighter so that it was only active when the cig lighter was in the hole.

I though it was a pretty neat idea, but sounds like too much work to me.

No one, except people that use the internet. :rlaugh:

Yeah I do see your point. But in all seriousness, if you wanted to find it, and knew where it was, it would take you a while. It took me a very long time to get used to it.

The Green GT
Ive heard of someone wiring the "switch" to their cig lighter so that it was only active when the cig lighter was in the hole.

I though it was a pretty neat idea, but sounds like too much work to me.

That is a really good idea!!!!!

I put one in for my fuel pump, I cut the pumps hot wire before the emergency cutoff in the trunk and ran it up to a hidden switch in the cabin. Iv also re-routed the starter and ignition wires from the steering column so that you cant access them from under the dash and the alarm that I installed has an anti car jacking system built into it and a back-up battery for the alarm.