Help with Axle Nut for Rotor removal!!!

Arnolds97

Jan 22, 2004
Liberty, MO
Help! What in the hell kind of axle not did they put on the 97 Mustang. How in the hell do you take it off. It has some kind off a sheet metal cover holding on to the nut.

I know this is not a sexy Hipo question but please help a fellow Mustang buddy out here.

• Sponsors (?)

Front, spindle nut?

Front Spindles? All you need is a 35mm socket... and an impact wrench helps cause those are torqued at over 200ft-lbs, and have to be torqued back to that as well. I went to several hardware stores(Sears, Ace, National, Harbor Freight) and AutoZone, Oriellys...and finally found a 35mm socket @ PepBoys. If you're talking about the rears I dunno, I don't remember, but I'll be finding out myself soon also...

The sheet metal piece is a locking device that keeps the nut from turning once torqued properly. It accomplishes the same thing as a cotter pin through the nut and spindle. You shoud be able to pry it away, then slide it off.

Incidentally, spindle nuts are torqued to about 260 ft-lbs and should not be reused because they intentionally become deformed at the design torque. For safety, it is best to buy a new one.