HELP WITH COLD START

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
So on my 92 8 plug head 4 banger.When it got cold last year (low 30's high 20's) it didnt want to start till it warmed up outside.All it did was crank over.It would crank over all day and normal just wouldnt start?I have never had this problem in the 5 years i have had the car.Any ideas?Oh yeah i get NO codes or CEL. peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

In addition, did you test for spark and injector pulsing when it would not catch?

The ECT can be out of calibration without being out of spec. Thus the car won't start but it won't toss a code either. Imagine the ECT reporting a temp of 210*F when the ambient temp is 20*F. The reported temp is not out of absolute range (thus no code) but not correct for the situation.

Where is the ECT located at?Dont forget this is a 4 banger not a 5.0 what does ECT stand for? peace

The ECT is Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. Unfortunately, I have no idea where is is located on a 4 cylinder engine.

Here's what it looks like:

gotcha thanks! i'll call for a price now.so that little part tells it what the current temp is and would play a possible roll on how the car starts?What about the way it might run and would it play a part in if it fails or passes DEQ? peace

Don't replace the sensor for no reason. Just check its calibration.

IIRC it's near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine.

Note that that if the outside air temp is below 50 degrees F that the test for the
ECT can be in error. This code may go away as the engine warms up, so don't dump the codes
on a cold engine

The ACT & ECT have the same thermistor, so the table values are the same

Voltages may be measured across the ECT/ACT by probing the connector from
the rear. A pair of safety pins may be helpful in doing this. Use care in doing it
so that you don't damage the wiring or connector.

Here's the table :

50 degrees F = 3.52 v
68 degrees F = 3.02 v
86 degrees F = 2.62 v
104 degrees F = 2.16 v
122 degrees F = 1.72 v
140 degrees F = 1.35 v
158 degrees F = 1.04 v
176 degrees F = .80 v
194 degrees F = .61
212 degrees F = .47 v
230 degrees F = .36 v
248 degrees F = .28 v

Ohms measures at the computer with the computer disconnected, or at the sensor with the sensor disconnected.

50 degrees F = 58.75 K ohms
68 degrees F = 37.30 K ohms
86 degrees F = 27.27 K ohms
104 degrees F = 16.15 K ohms
122 degrees F = 10.97 K ohms
140 degrees F = 7.60 K ohms
158 degrees F = 5.37 K ohms
176 degrees F = 3.84 K ohms
194 degrees F = 2.80 K ohms
212 degrees F = 2.07 K ohms
230 degrees F = 1.55 K ohms
248 degrees F = 1.18 k ohms

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds
(website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel, alternator, A/C and ignition wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Vacuum diagram 89-93 Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

You may have a bad ECT sensor or you may want to check your fuel pressure because you could have a bad regulator or fuel pump.
or it could be ACT...
or it could be MAF...
or it could be TFI...
or it could be.....

When it won't start... check for spark and injector pulsing...
I don't think codes would register unless the car actually ran?

jason

I thank you vristang for just putting my quote but smokedya needed the help not me. And also the 92 mustang 2.3 motor came with 2 coil packs so he could check one or both of them. Don't know why you put my quote i'm no rookie to mustangs because that's my job and i have been doing it for a long time. I had other things in mine to try an help this guy when and if he make another post and if what we told him did not help him. Now thats why i do not come to this site that much because people love to try and show how smart they are but end up looking like fools.I come here to help people not to show how smart i am.

Thanks for all the input so far guys!I havent ran any tests yet been to chilly here so far.OP you say dont buy a sencer if it's not bad?Any reason why?I cant imagine they cost to much?I'll post what the deal was when i figure it out.peace

Thanks for all the input so far guys!I havent ran any tests yet been to chilly here so far.OP you say dont buy a sencer if it's not bad?Any reason why?I cant imagine they cost to much?I'll post what the deal was when i figure it out.peace

I think this was directed at me (though you're the OP John, not I).

You probably have a Motorcraft sensor in there now. Most folks go with a parts store replacement when swapping out sensors. I'd take a used Motorcraft sensor over a new parts-store sensor just about any day. So if the OEM sensor is up to par, I'd leave it be. This is even more important on your 4 banger since the ECT is used for your cooling fan (so you need it to be accurate so the fan comes on at the right time).

Thanks for all the input so far guys!I havent ran any tests yet been to chilly here so far.OP you say dont buy a sencer if it's not bad?Any reason why?I cant imagine they cost to much?I'll post what the deal was when i figure it out.
While it is still cold is when I would check for fuel and spark... but I don't blame you for staying inside and warm....
I know I won't be in the garage today... :rlaugh:

Did you get stuck in yesterdays traffic? It took me 6hrs to get home... 3hrs to pass through Seattle :bs:

jason

While it is still cold is when I would check for fuel and spark... but I don't blame you for staying inside and warm....
I know I won't be in the garage today... :rlaugh:

Did you get stuck in yesterdays traffic? It took me 6hrs to get home... 3hrs to pass through Seattle :bs:

jason

Well i was up in port townsend carnation area over the weekend.We got out of there before the weather hit.We have nothing here! :mad: Just cold temps!Right now it's 17* high of 32 today but that will be at 5PM yesturday was just as cold also! Sucks workinging it,but hard to pass the good money!Well back to the car,it's started fine monday and yesturday,so cross fingers it does this AM ! I'll know in about 10 minutes! peace