Fox Help with current retail values, please

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I need help with what current Retail value is on a vehicle (not my Mustang). So I need to know where or who has the values updated for the current spike in used car prices. If it is not open to the general public, can someone PLEASE message me that is willing to look up on a used 2000 car?
THANK YOU!

That’s the short, here is more info for the curious.
I will message the info about the car but not post publicly which car until the insurance is settled. I need the current value, besides KBB, to make sure we do not get screwed because of an accident where our driver was doing nothing wrong in an older vehicle they will want to pay the lowest pre C-19 value on.

The accident-
One of our vehicles was at a stop sign waiting to leave a parking lot, when a truck turned in across traffic from the right in front of our car. That truck (1) was hit hard by another truck (2) going straight and too fast from the left. Truck one smacked our car head on hard enough to mess up the grille, fog lights, bend the hood enough so panel gaps are screwy, gouge the Facia a bit, and mess up the paint on the plastic fenders where they meet the facia. (And they left a tire mark on the top of one fender somehow.). No airbag deployment. It is drivable, and the trucks are definitely not. Tough car, but the front is now cockeyed. I was shocked at the repair prices and am sure it will be totaled. So I need a good bargaining point for value.

• Sponsors (?)

I need help with what current Retail value is on a vehicle (not my Mustang). So I need to know where or who has the values updated for the current spike in used car prices. If it is not open to the general public, can someone PLEASE message me that is willing to look up on a used 2000 car?
THANK YOU!

That’s the short, here is more info for the curious.
I will message the info about the car but not post publicly which car until the insurance is settled. I need the current value, besides KBB, to make sure we do not get screwed because of an accident where our driver was doing nothing wrong in an older vehicle they will want to pay the lowest pre C-19 value on.

The accident-
One of our vehicles was at a stop sign waiting to leave a parking lot, when a truck turned in across traffic from the right in front of our car. That truck (1) was hit hard by another truck (2) going straight and too fast from the left. Truck one smacked our car head on hard enough to mess up the grille, fog lights, bend the hood enough so panel gaps are screwy, gouge the Facia a bit, and mess up the paint on the plastic fenders where they meet the facia. (And they left a tire mark on the top of one fender somehow.). No airbag deployment. It is drivable, and the trucks are definitely not. Tough car, but the front is now cockeyed. I was shocked at the repair prices and am sure it will be totaled. So I need a good bargaining point for value.
Everybody ok.... hopefully?

I do not think anyone even got seat belt bruises in our car, Just shook up and a bit sore. And the pickup trucks' drivers appeared fine. I should have included that. I did not expect a GM truck to scrunch up like that. I can add a couple of photos after insurance is taken care of.

In our dealership, we are no longer offering the stupid inflated trade allowances that were there two months ago, although there are those few that still expect it. There isn’t any other reference manual other than what’s already known to get you a “current value” on that car. The inflated used car market is really more about “newer” vehicles, and the fact that it is over 20 years old, and even more so if it has normal mileage i’d expect for a car that old will have will pretty much stick you with a “ it is what it is” valuation.

In our dealership, we are no longer offering the stupid inflated trade allowances that were there two months ago, although there are those few that still expect it. There isn’t any other reference manual other than what’s already known to get you a “current value” on that car. The inflated used car market is really more about “newer” vehicles, and the fact that it is over 20 years old, and even more so if it has normal mileage i’d expect for a car that old will have will pretty much stick you with a “ it is what it is” valuation.
The type of lots that carry “2nd car” type vehicles have not got the notice here, nor have the private owners. :-( I suppose I can use similar examples for sale.

I have yet to see any car in the St. Louis area that isn't bringing brain dead money. The wholesale prices are still way up, even on old beaters.

I can happily plug one in for black book value. Your best bet is to look at local comps on facebook marketplace, though, and go after replacement value based on the market.

Used prices are pretty insane right now but I’ve seen a decent number of exceptions when searching on auto trader and Craigslist.

I’ll say this about that…
At the beginning of the year, I traded the 2007 Jag XK coupe in on a 2018 Nissan Titan that had 11k miles. The Jag washed,..I owed as much as it appraised for..I just wanted it gone. The purchase price of the truck ended up being 28k. With fees and taxes, it was 31,500.00 OTD. The payment was in the middle 500 range.

Three months later, I got tired of 13 mpg, and got on Carvana’s website, plugged in that truck‘s vin into their appraisal app, and in 5 minutes had an offer for 35,800.00. We were at the height of Stupid used car values. By that time, i had bought the truck down to 30k.

Bottom line, i drove that truck for 3-4 months, and it netted almost 6k over what I owed.

I took that money, purchased a 99k mile 94 f 150 for 6500.00.
Just for shts an grins, got back on Carvana’s website, and plugged in that trucks info to see how they would value it…

$350.00. The retailers of the world, don’t want old ass sht.

I just sold that truck for 6250.00 to another dude. If i woulda stuck to my price, would’ve netted exactly what I had in it.
But I’m such a nice guy, and a pushover…dude got a deal.
But in the private sector, nice old “desirable” vehicles are still bringing what you’d expect.

Second bottom line, The used car market is cooling. I’m there everyday value ing people’s trade-ins. A newer vehicle will still bring a higher than it would’ve been value, but it’s going down fast. An older car on the other hand,….won’t bring dick.

What's currently on a dealer lot is a reflection of what they’ve paid, not what they’ll pay now. When they get rid of those, and when you can drive by a Buick/GMC lot and actually see new cars out there, ( As of today, you can’t), the used cars that are stupidly valued will be gone.

If only…….
If only I could’ve seen the future….I’d have gone to college, and learned how to build a semi-conductor. then found a way to build them in my garage and when demand required it, and after having to redo that 3-4 times, out grew that, and opened a bigger facility, and then out grew that,…finally opening up a freakin factory the size of an Amazon DC, hired a bunch of Mexicans on work Visas to compete with the 13year old malaysian kids building that sht in China…and become the domestic chip mega supplier that we so desperately need.
I even got a name for them…I’d call them a “ Mike-ro-chip”. :runaway:

Last edited:
  • Happy
Reactions: 1 user
139F8C15-CACE-4124-8912-414DBC8A0AAE.jpeg

03AB0666-79ED-47B5-AE3C-CC2AD87F9912.jpeg

So the GM truck turned into the parking lot from the right. The Ranger was going (at least) 45 from the left and smacked the GM in the wheel area. Then the GM ran into the beetle head on while the bug was stopped at in the parking lot exit at what should have been a save distance from traffic. The truck looks bad and went away on a flatbed. The bug has a cockeyed look straight on, the lower grille is trashed and the hood is sprung. It was a tough car. It still drives, but not probably safely.
The insurance company offered a fair enough amount that I am not going to argue, and we should be able to get something decent to replace it. :nice:It is sad that now I got it the dash lights off it is messed up, but there are abs and airbag lights on now that were not included in the estimates. It can go.

The guys with the trucks must be sick dealing with the used truck prices. We are selling 2010 Ford rangers for 20k... the full size GMC trucks are aover 30k older used.

Those beetles weren't the most reliable vehicles. Hope you find something nice with the money.

Reactions: 1 user