Help With Explorer Throttle Body Voltage

osprey2020

Mar 9, 2004
Hi
I am starting to convert an explorer throttle body for use on my 92 stang. I have two questions that I hope you guys could help me with. In reading posts and a great article from one of the posts about converting the throttle body. I have learned that the voltage on the TPS is different. My question is how do I change this? Do I swap the explorer TPS with my old one or do I manually adjust the explorers? Also, do I swap my idle air control motor? Any other advance on the swap is appreciated.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The TPS I had had an open top, it bolted on without any modifications to anything.

The stock Explorer linkage didn't come anywhere near fitting, so I made an adapter plate for the throttle linkage so I could use the 65 MM throttle body.

This is what I did:
Make a drawing of the position of the old throttle body linkage arm and its angular position relative to the centerline of the throttle body. Remove the ball stud off the explorer TB to make way for the adapter plate. Drill and tap a 10-32 hole in the linkage parallel to the TB shaft. Make an angle bracket out of 1" angle iron 3/8", drill a 3/16” hole in the center of each one of the legs. Then bolt it on where the hole was drilled & tapped. Then make a circular adapter plate out of 1/4" thick aluminum to bolt the two linkage arms together. Then bolt the aluminum plate to the existing linkage, and the angle bracket. Next mount the arm with the ball stud off the old throttle body on the adapter plate using the drawing to get the angle correct. You will need an aircraft type countersink for one of the bolts that secures the plate to the explorer linkage arm. It ends up being under the arm with the ball stud for the linkage. It works great and looks neat.

A trip to the welding shop with the explorer TB and the arm from your old Mustang TB would probably accomplish the same thing. I didn't have access to a welder, so I fabb'ed the plate in my shop. I took about 1.5 hours to do it, it was a measure, cut, and fit type of operation.

Do a search on Tmoss - he had a simpe way of making the linkage fit.