Help with T-5 identification (tag gone)

dglanz

Oct 30, 2005
Hello All:

I have a bit of a puzzle to see if you can help me with.

I just picked up a T-5 off of Craigslist with a Hurst shifter for $100. It has a problem with 2nd gear, otherwise it works fine. I have already verified by checking the diameter of the pilot bearing section of the input shaft that it is a V8 gearbox. The seller said it is from a 92 Mustang GT. I think it is from an 89. As much as anything, I'm trying to verify that it's a world class box.

The tag is gone, so I have to look for other clues. The casting numbers are:

13-52-066-919 (tailshaft)
13-52-065-908 (front case)
13-52-027-908 (bearing retainer)

an 89 is inside the starburst that I think is the casting date on the top cover and on the front case. Two of the boxes have dots in them (Feb 1989?) on each of them.

It has a yellow 7 tooth speedo gear. From what I can find, 1990 and up use an 8T speedo gear.

I am pretty sure it is a world-class box and don't doubt it was removed from a 92, but think it's from an 89.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You are going to have to open it up and look at the numbers stamped on the countergear.

Yellow speedo tooth is a dead give-away that the trans is an 85-89 model rated at 265 ft-lbs, but it's not 100% because anyone who usually rebuilds a 90-93 t-5 (and is smart) chucks the 8-tooth gear and goes with the yellow 7-tooth gear.

Open the trans up and look at the numbers on the countergear

068 = 90-93 300 ft-lb gearset
052/058 = 85.5 - 89 265 ft-lbs gearset

Thanks for the tip

You are going to have to open it up and look at the numbers stamped on the countergear.

Yellow speedo tooth is a dead give-away that the trans is an 85-89 model rated at 265 ft-lbs, but it's not 100% because anyone who usually rebuilds a 90-93 t-5 (and is smart) chucks the 8-tooth gear and goes with the yellow 7-tooth gear.

Open the trans up and look at the numbers on the countergear

068 = 90-93 300 ft-lb gearset
052/058 = 85.5 - 89 265 ft-lbs gearset

Thanks for your help! I opened it up and there is a 052 on the countershaft. So, my guess is that it's from an 89.

The dog teeth on 2nd gear are really rounded off, which would explain the hard shifting into 2nd. The PO mentioned that it would go into 2nd, but he had to hold it in while the clutch was released and said that it worked fine otherwise.

Other than the second gear issue, it was really clean and looked like someone had been in it before and everything looked good. I am planning on purchasing a new 2nd gear and master rebuild kit and installing it.

I'm thinking this should fix the issue. If there is anything else you think I need, let me know.

Thanks!