Help With Tachometer

GGio19

Jul 14, 2010
Hello guys, me again with some problems... im trying to conect the TACHOMETER, but we dont know the conection Diagram....

This is mi problem...

4794485558_9c0872cc38.jpg

Thats is what i have... i know Black going to ground.... but not the others... i was looking some diagram on internet... but nothing....

Oh.. black and "metal color", are in two diferent holes. but Red with green and red with white, are in the same hole.... and purple and red with blue are in the same hole too
Thanks...

Here a front pic

4793853163_519b0a5faf.jpg

My ford its a 1975 2.3 ford 140 cid, 4 cyl.

• Sponsors (?)

Somebody has got to have a better diagram out there. I'm looking in my 1982 Haynes manual and my 1983 Clymer manual which have crude diagrams that show paths but are missing alot of the definitions. It's possible that your wire may have faded or bleached their color a little. Or these manuals could have the colors wrong. Wiring is such a PITA...

For 1975 I'm showing 2 different color combos for the wires comming out of the tach., different in each manual. Patch seem to appear the same each manual seems to designate different colors for a couple of the wires. Dunnot what to say about that....

Haynes Manual
Black - To Ground

-Paired up-
#1 Red w/Green str- Wire goes to coil but has a 8-9 ohm resister in it before it is connected with a Red w/Blue str. wire. (wire listed below)
#2 Red w/Green str- Wire connects to a Green w/Red str wire. That wire is then in a shared 'ignition start' circuit (via the ign. switch) through the voltage regulator on into the Ignition module.

-Paired up-
#1 Red w/Blue str- Connects to Red w/Green str headed to Coil. (see above)
#2 Brown w/Pink str- Goes to 'Start' side of ignition switch

Grey w/Black str.- To Ground

Clymer Manual
Black #1- Goes aways across the schematic and then to Ground.

-Paired up-
#1 Red w/Green str- Wire goes to coil but has a 8-9 ohm resister in it before it is connected with a Red w/Blue str. wire. (wire listed below) Shares the same post on the coil as the Red w/Green wire from the Ignition module.
#2 Red w/Green str- Wire connects to a Green w/Red str wire. That wire then passes through the voltage regulator on into the Ignition module.

-Paired up-
#1 Red w/Yellow str- Connects to Red w/Green str headed to Coil. (see above)
#2 Brown w/Pink str- Goes to 'Start' side of ignition switch

Black #2- To Ground

I hope this helps you out a bit. The best bet would be to get your hands on a factory wiring diagram. They are out there, just comb ebay and anyone selling factory reproduction or used original manuals. On Ebay be careful of idiots copying the diagrams out of a Clymer or Haynes manual. Alot of the pertinate info on these diagrams are usually missing. I usually find guys at swap meets dealing with manuals/books and they usually seem to have a source to get these books/info.