Help with whining tranny

TKT GETR

Founding Member
Feb 21, 2002
Virginia
Unfortunately I don’t know a lot about clutches or transmissions, so I need help diagnosing my problem. I already searched the forums but didnt find a definite answer to my issue.

98 GT, stock T45 tranny, spec 2 or 3 clutch (cant remember). 500rwhp.
Problem:
Sitting still in neutral, the tranny whines. It sounds kinda like an electric radiator fan. It's not squeaking or chattering. The sound increase with RPM. Blip the throttle and it gets louder.
Push the clutch in and the sound slows down and stops completely in a couple seconds. Release the clutch and the sound starts immediately again. It is constant and not intermittent.
When the car is moving, the sound can be heard clearly in 1st and 2nd gear (maybe other gears, not sure), but only when accelerating. There is no whining sound during deceleration/engine braking.
The car shifts fine and smooth, nothing FEELS wrong. Just the sound.

Now for the backstory of how it happened:
Was at the track and went off sideways pretty hard and fast. Over the gator curbing and through some deep and rough mud. The car is pretty low so who knows what go shifted and/or bent. Had to reverse quickly and several hundred feet to get out of harms way. Got turned around and started driving back to the pits and that’s when I first heard the sound. I checked the tranny fluid and it was approx 1 to 1.5 quarts low. I knew the tranny had a slow leak, but I hadn't realized it was THAT low. Added a quart and drove home. I changed the fluid and it was nice and red, nothing noticable in the fluid. It sounds the same after the fluid change.

What do you guys think the problem could be?
I'm hoping to go to the track this Sunday. Do you think the car is trackable (one day) without getting it fixed?

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of shifter do you have? I have a steeda tri-ax and my tranny sounds loud as hell though that thing.

It is either the input bearing or pocket bearing in your tranny, or the gears themselves might be getting worn down kinda like a rear end gear would sound. Also, if you're running a thinner ATF like Royal Purple it will be louder than if you have regular Dextron in there.

Either way, it's in the tranny. You might want to consider an upgrade with the power you're making.