Hey all. Just wondering how rare the Mach sound system was on these cars.

My 96 gt vert has the Mach speakers, but most of the speakers in the car are toast, so overall it doesn't sound great. What was this setup like when it was new? I'm not sure if I even want to go through and replace/upgrade all my speakers anyway, because the exhaust system on my car sounds so damn good, I rarely listen to music anyway. The car already makes it's own music. I'm sure some of you know what I mean.....anyway. I know it won't be cheap to go through the whole car's stereo system either. Here is a quick video of me doing a burnout. I just love the way the car sounds.

• Sponsors (?)

The Mach audio system was fairly common, especially on the GT as it was included in the GT Premium package and I believe optional on the GT deluxe depending on the year. Convertibles for the most part tended to be optioned up.

You can find used speakers on Ebay pretty easily.

I had the Mach 460 in my 2003 that I bought brand new, and at the time, thought it was an awesome sounding system. Plenty loud, and had some good bass kick. The 01-04 Mach 1000 system was even better.

I remember when I sold the Mustang and bought a new 2006 Infiniti G35x with the Bose system, my first thought when I got in the car was "damn, this radio sucks compared to the mach"

It's been some time since I've looked at the specs of the mach system (specifically the 01-04 setup with the CD6 changer) but if if I remember right, the speakers had a very odd impedance value that made replacement difficult. You would need to pay attention to this if you decide to change the speakers out for aftermarket speakers. Most people doing so however would just bypass the Mach amps and run a different head unit and power them all off a modern head unit. I've been out of the audio game for some time now, and find the audio system in stock 2020 vehicles more than adequate for my needs.

I recently had to replace one speaker in my '03 GT that has the Mach 460 setup. The speaker had blown and was buzzing pretty bad. I ended up buying a new factory speaker for it from CJ Pony Parts. One speaker cost me $54.95 from there.

I did consider just changing all the speakers out as I had a set of 4 Kenwoods available but when I saw what it would take to do so, I quickly changed my mind and stuck with the factory option. I just didn't want to go through all that was involved with putting aftermarket speakers in place when only one speaker was bad.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you...as long as it produces clear sound, that's good enough for me. I'm no audiophile; though my GT does have a Kenwood head unit in it now. That has made a bit of a difference in the sound quality too by itself.

My preference is always usually originality if the car is all or mostly original. I'm not against modding, or restomodding, but I'm at a point where part of driving and owning these cars is the nostalgia they offer. Yes, you can make them faster, louder, prettier, but I think that defeats the purpose of driving an older car.

That said, I think it is okay to get away with upgrading parts that are not seen. So, if you can maintain your stock head unit and upgrade your sound in other ways, that's a solid choice.

I love the tinny sounding tapedeck in my 1990, but that's just how it was 31 years ago.

I love the tinny sounding tapedeck in my 1990, but that's just how it was 31 years ago.

I've got an OEM CD player in my Fox. It skips over every hard bump, but i like it for the nostalgia feel.

If you gave me a SN95 with a expensive, high end stereo in it, I would remove it and part it out and put the OEM stereo back in. I'm just not a fan of non-OEM components unless they can be made to look very OEM, which is hard to do.

my aftermarket stereo days are behind me

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not great but typical of the time. Weird reinstall due to 3 amps in the system!Just replaced mine with a 4 channel fosgate amp, focals and a trunk based 10 inch focal sub and the sound is truly outstanding. I would highly recommend Altered Sound in Oakville.