Hey guys, I need some Fox body help...

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
I thought of you guys when working on my 16 yo son's Fairmont.
I hope you don't mind that it's not a Stang, but I thought you folks could help.
If there was another, more appropriate forum, I apologize and understand if the mod moves the post. I just wanted to get in front of the cream of the Fox body crop.

If you don't know me, it's because I am old school and hang in the Classic Tech forum. I know little to nothing about Fox bodies.
Guess I need to learn now that the boy has one...

I am working on my son's 81 Ford Fox body Fairmont.
200 I6/C4
Power front disc, rear drum...
Power RP steering...

Problem 1:When you slam on the brakes, semi-panic style, the left rear tire locks up.
Can a proportioning block go bad?
I can't get any other tires to lock up if I try.
Just the one locks.
No pulling, bled the brakes, flushed the old fluid, all good...
Power brakes.

Problem 2:When you turn left, the power steering kills the engine.
It has done this a long time. The PO complained of stall on left turn.
I have it narrowed to the PS system.
It does it on slow, sharp turns. The kind like going into a parking spot or driving in a tight subdivision, where you can't go fast enough that the throttle is up. Also does it sitting still and turning the wheel as you approach hard left.
There is no other load on the car, it is not fuel related as it does it sitting still, and the idle is plenty high @ about 700-800 (factory setting).

Could I need a pump or rack?
If so, which is going bad?

There is a very slight growl from the pump when the wheel is turned and system is loaded... Slightly more to the left than right. That is why I assume the pump is dragging down so much that it kills the engine.

Any thoughts?
Anyone have this problem b4?

Thanks!
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

There is one line from the proportioning valve to the rear axle. That being said, if one is locking up it is not the proportioning valve. The problem is likely in the side that does not lock up. The shoes are not expanding therefore that side does not lock. This is normal brake tech not specifically Fox Body.

On the other I don't have a clue.

I would check over your entire rear brakes. Wheel cylinders are cheap and easy to install, and everything else is pretty much just visual inspection.

As far as steering, it sounds like a rack and pressure related issue as it's only with left turns. I know it would be a pain, but I might suggest taking the rack and PS pump off of the car and giving them a thorough cleaning with a mild o-ring friendly solvent. You may just have some junk in the system somewhere.

He has 5.0 LX 10 holes with 225/60/15s... I think.
Whatever size came stock on 86 5.0 LX.
They are bigger than what came on the car.
The PO had the same issue with 195/70/14s though.

I noticed the car was loading up at idle and found the power valve was stuck in the carb. I fixed it and now the engine has enough power at idle to make the PS belt squeal, rather than stalling the engine.
So that problem is sorta fixed.
I figure he needs a pump at least, and the rack has alot of slop going down the road, so maybe a rack too.

I appreciate all the responses! :)

I also appreciate you not flaming me for posting a Fairmont question!

Thanks!
Dave

Problem 1:When you slam on the brakes, semi-panic style, the left rear tire locks up.
Can a proportioning block go bad?
I can't get any other tires to lock up if I try.
Just the one locks.
No pulling, bled the brakes, flushed the old fluid, all good...
Power brakes.

There is only one brake line to the rear drums. It is split on the axle. Both wheels in threory should receive equal pressure. The problem more than likely is in one of the drums...usually the one not locking. Pull the drums and check everything out. Maybe bleed each drum and see that sufficient flow comes out to rule out any blockages in the line (or pinched brake lines)

Problem 2:When you turn left, the power steering kills the engine.
It has done this a long time. The PO complained of stall on left turn.
I have it narrowed to the PS system.
It does it on slow, sharp turns. The kind like going into a parking spot or driving in a tight subdivision, where you can't go fast enough that the throttle is up. Also does it sitting still and turning the wheel as you approach hard left.
There is no other load on the car, it is not fuel related as it does it sitting still, and the idle is plenty high @ about 700-800 (factory setting).

Could I need a pump or rack?
If so, which is going bad?

There is a very slight growl from the pump when the wheel is turned and system is loaded... Slightly more to the left than right. That is why I assume the pump is dragging down so much that it kills the engine.

Sounds like you are n the right track. Hard to say if it's the pump itself, or something in the rack causing the pump to whine and moan.

I am going to go with the rack.
The pump doesnt see direction at all. It does the same work whether you turn right or left. It sounds like its binding when turning the one particular way causing the pump to require to much force resulting in the engine stalling.