HID Lights

ninetyfiveGT

New Member
Nov 8, 2004
27
0
0
I was just wondering if you guys knew if there was an HID kit available for our cars. If so:
-How much are they and where can I find one?
-Are modifications required to use these kits?
-Do the bulbs run too hot for a regular headlight housing? I have clear cobra style lights and was wondering if these housings are any good for HID.
-I can't directly see the bulbs in my headlight housings (they have some sort of reflector in front of them), will this interfer with the HID bulbs and make them dimmer or is this just normal?

Sorry for all the questions guys, I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to this headlight stuff.


Thanks
 
i dont know too much about this but our reflectors were made for regular halogen lighting. You could always get some kit off of ebay but since our reflectors werent made for HIDs youll pretty much blind oncoming traffic. The beam cutoff wont be correct at all. You will not get that crisp line of light you should get with HID lighting. Like this guy here, he just got a regular kit for a few hundred bucks but you can see the light disperses in all directions (this is what causes glare and why people shouldnt use regular HID kits in halogen housings) instead of straight ahead.http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183803&highlight=HID

Heres another link about why you should not get a HID "kit"
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216043&highlight=HID

...But this guy here did it the correct way http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236750&highlight=HID

he had his housings sent out to a company that specializes in retrofitting hid projectors. Some people do it themselves. Heres a link to the company that does this sort of work.... http://www.illusion-lighting.com/ in the gallery section you can see pics of the lighting against a wall and you can see how sharp the cutoff line is when HIDs are done correctly. Doing it this way does cost around $1000.


and no these lights dont run too hot for our stock housings, they actually run cooler than our stock lighting.
 
thank you sade04 for providing that accurate information. I cannot stand it when people throw an HID kit into a stock reflector housing. I retrofitted a pair of bmw 3 series bi-xenon projectors into my fox body housing and couldn't be happier. If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time...
 
Thanks for all the replies guys. This is exactly why I wanted to ask about it before going ahead and buying something. $1000 is more than I really want to spend for lighting, I think I will just stick with my silverstars and add some driving lights or something.

Thanks again