Hissing Noise from C&L CAI?!

WobWob

Feb 8, 2011
Hey I'm new here. I have recently installed a C&L CAI on my 2011 3.7L. Everything seems to fit correctly. I was quite proud of myself when i finished installing it, but when I started her up I heard something alarming. When I gas the throttle there is a sort of hissing noise that is coming form the engine bay. I can't tell where the sound is coming from specifically because I cant be hovering over the engine and gassing it at the same time. When i took the car out for a test drive there were some noticeable changes in the sound from stock but I am not sure what is "normal". I fear that the hissing noise is actually a sucking noise and that there is some gap somewhere that i cant see. Maybe there is some leakage around the trottle body? It would be awesome if anyone could let me know what i should have expected from the swap, and any suggestions for diagnosing the noise. I have not had a chance to test the performance changes but it seems to be running on par with the stock intake.

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you installed it right, hearing the intake after installing a CAI is normal. My K&N CAI makes a hissing sound as well when giving it gas. I can only hear it with the windows down however, and it's pretty subtle. So unless it's abnormally loud, you're probably alright. If you want, have a friend give it some gas while you look at the intake to be sure where the sound is coming from.

I wouldn't worry about it.... my RAM 1500 does that, I believe its some kind of back pressure burp or relief breath from having too much air coming in. Have had it on the truck just about 5 years now.... been doing it since she went on.