Holding valves up

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Ok guys I have the trick flow spring kit, one head is in the shop (broken spring) so I wanted to upgrade the springs. I’ve installed them once heads off but I still have one head in car and I’m having a issue holding valve up with compressor I’ve done 4 already but for some reason I’m having a hard time cylinder #3. First of all I did pass compression test on that cylinder but for some reason it’s not holding it’s letting it out faster then the others. I’m trying to use the tdc indicator but I have no room especially on the last one #4. Then I have to disconnect the air from car and sometimes (after I hand crank it) when I connect air back after engine moves a bit so no sure if it opens to where valves stay open but that’s when I crank it close to tdc on every cylinder but when I hood air engine moves a tad. I have one head off and I put lower intake back with a gasket between head and intake and I even tourqe father bolts down to 22 to keep air in. As for the rope do I really have to have piston at lowest part fill then raise? I’ve been using tdc indicator then when it’s close I put rope in(even tried a spark plug wire) but when I use lever the valve has to be going down cuz it’s not compressing as well. Anyone have any tricks with the lever? I’m using2 huge washers and a rocker bolt.
1 more question. Trick flow springs go either way ether side? Top and bottom or all the same?

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpeg
    IMG_2867.jpeg
    792.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2868.jpeg
    IMG_2868.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2848.jpeg
    IMG_2848.jpeg
    865.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Sponsors (?)

When you put air into the head it fills the combustion chamber and forces piston down.
If your rings and valves are sealing no air should leak out.
If you hear air in the intake or eXHAUST the valves aren't sealing, if you hear air leak ino the oil pan then rings aren't sealing.

What psi are you at? I'm sure 100 should hold the valves up.
Like I said if you are hearing air escape, somethings up.

Valves are controlled ( opened and closed) by cam,pushrods,rockers.
So you take rockers off and valves are closed.....
Looks like you gotta leak( valves or rings).

Valves are controlled ( opened and closed) by cam,pushrods,rockers.
So you take rockers off and valves are closed.....
Looks like you gotta leak( valves or rings).
Or something is bent.

Did you get the problem resolved?

Another method to hold the valve up while changing the spring is to get some 1/4" nylon rope and push enough in through the spark plug hole to fill the chamber. When done, just pull on the rope hanging out and it all comes out. I've used this method successfully in the past when I didn't have access to compressed air.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Or something is bent.

Did you get the problem resolved?

Another method to hold the valve up while changing the spring is to get some 1/4" nylon rope and push enough in through the spark plug hole to fill the chamber. When done, just pull on the rope hanging out and it all comes out. I've used this method successfully in the past when I didn't have access to compressed air.
I did get it resolved. It has something to do with another issue I had wrote about the oil in between upper lower intake. Here we go . It was……. The Breather! I had bought a breather for the valve cover and for some reason it wanted to be capped with that stock cap. Wow I really thought it was a wiring issue I wrote u could you please shoot me those diagram still superbats99@yahoo thank you I appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user