Holley 570sa Secondaries Won't Open

NB141FD

Jul 15, 2009
Car starts good, idles well and runs fine up to a point. When accelerating it stumbles and hesitates just prior to shifting especially noted when shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. The carb is re manufactured and has less than 500 miles on it. I have checked float levels, accelerator pump, fuel filters (both carb and fuel line filters), disassembled vacuum secondary diaphragm, checked timing and all idle circuits. The only anomaly I have found is the secondaries not opening. I tested this by attaching a wire on the secondary diaphragm rod and noting that it did not get pushed down after several spirited drives. During these drives I purposely got the rpms over 4000 when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. After 4 or 5 attempts of driving like this the test wire did not move. I then got a Holley secondary spring kit and tried several springs with no change on the test wire. The secondaries still won't open.

When I disassembled the diaphragm I did not find any tears or damage. I tested it by lifting the plunger and plugging the vacuum hole with my finger. The plunger held and did not move until I released my finger from the vacuum port. After remounting, I checked the secondaries by moving throttle to WOT and moving the secondary lever by hand. I noted that the secondaries seemed to move through full range, I also noted that diaphragm plunger moved accordingly as I exercised the secondary lever. Two additional points; this carburetor is on a Ford 302 in a car that weighs about 2300 lbs., also when checking the secondary diaphragm I could not find a secondary check ball installed. Not sure if missing check ball could lead to my problem. I am at a loss as to what could be the reason that the secondaries are not opening while driving. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tony

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the check ball must be there.
There is also a gasket for the vacuum ports between the body and diaphram housing.
You probably knew that, but just wanted to make sure, so you have a good vacuum.

You probably already know that you NEVER modify the linkage to work mechanically...

Question about your 'test wire'...

Did you try to operate the secondaries by hand with that test wire installed?
Just curious, it crossed my mind that if that wire was too tight, it might defeat
the secondary function by itself. Just a thought

Ratio411, the cork gasket between the diaphragm pot and the carb body is there and in good condition. I placed the throttle at WOT and operated the secondaries by hand and they looked good through the entire range of motion so I know that they can operate without hindrance. I've gotten different opinions on the check valve. Some feel it should be there and others take it out, but no one thinks it could lead to my symptoms if it is missing.

Tony.

I don't agree with removing the check ball, however I always remove the sintered bronze filters in the fuel bowl inlets.
A good inline filter will be plenty, and it will filter smaller particles.

Does your model have a rear metering block, or no?

It is possible that the rear is working, but running lean.
A metering block will need larger jets, or if no block, it has a metering plate that can be tuned larger or smaller, just like jets.
Just a thought.