Holley carb problem

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
Hagerstown, MD
The project s finally alive, but, having a carb issue. Rebuilt an older 600 holley. Good response to idle mixture adjustments. About 20" vacuume. Great idle. Great off idle, but then it stumbles, then screams right up to WOT. This is all in the garage. Not road worthy yet.
Pulled the primary bowl. Blew 2+2 through all the passeges again. Float level set to just at the site hole on primary and secondary. Good strong shot from the accel pump.
If I advance the throttle slowly it will hit a spot where is starts running rough then clears up. If I snap the throttle hard, it will ramp up, die, then scream. Idles right back down no problem.
I've done a few holley's in my time, but am not a big fan. Carb was free. In relitively good condition. I soaked the body and hard parts for three hours, cleaned with 2+2 completely and rebuilt. Am open to suggestions before it goes on the junk carb pile...

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, all lined up. It's a pretty good stumble. Like it's not metering at part throttle.
Oh, I may look at that again D, it may take a half second or so for the pump shot to get down the runners. I adjusted it, but not after I set the idle. Du. I'll check again.

Yea, that was it. THanks D. I figured it was something simple. Nice and smooth now. Free carb is cool! Saved another Holley from certain destruction... :)
Nothing better than open headers. Guess that will be it for tonight. Will have the neighbors getting uptight soon...

:nice: Glad to help and turn another potential "victim" :rlaugh: away from the darkside.:notnice: I buy all my Holleys off the used carb shelf, or on ebay. Only exception to this was the six pack setup, and even then it was a year old with a few hours run time. I've generally found old Holleys to be more trouble than they're worth. The ones I buy are obviously slightly used.

how did you manage 20" vacuum? totally stock came? is this a roller 5l or a flat 302?

i can't adjust for more then 16" at idle in park, which drops to 12-13 at idle in gear :( no enough for power booster.

nate

how did you manage 20" vacuum? totally stock came? is this a roller 5l or a flat 302?

i can't adjust for more then 16" at idle in park, which drops to 12-13 at idle in gear :( no enough for power booster.

nate
If that's not enough vacuum for a power booster, then you've got other problems. I'll bet I had less than that with the 331 when it was in my Ranger. (z303 cam.

Bone stock 289 with low compression truck heads. Again, it was free...might have been 18-19". I didn't look that close, but I was right on the edge of the line in the green area of my gauge which should be 20. I was adjusting for max vacuum, not paying attention to the numbers.

If that's not enough vacuum for a power booster, then you've got other problems. I'll bet I had less than that with the 331 when it was in my Ranger. (z303 cam.

Other problems..? like a bad booster? can't be. it was all new from ssbc. No vacuum leaks. Carb adjusted for highest vacuum at idle in park(16").

When I start the car, the pedal does go down a little. But it does seem to get rock hard with the car off and pumping it (should drain vacuum after 2-3 pumps and be rock hard like any normal power brake system).

I've already called ssbc for 2 warranties. They are going to think i'm on crack. 1 they missed the adjustable push rod. 2- the mc was weaping out the back and would always bubble no matter how many times i bench bled it or tried to bleed it in the car.

Nate

Other problems..? like a bad booster? can't be. it was all new from ssbc. No vacuum leaks. Carb adjusted for highest vacuum at idle in park(16").

When I start the car, the pedal does go down a little. But it does seem to get rock hard with the car off and pumping it (should drain vacuum after 2-3 pumps and be rock hard like any normal power brake system).

I've already called ssbc for 2 warranties. They are going to think i'm on crack. 1 they missed the adjustable push rod. 2- the mc was weaping out the back and would always bubble no matter how many times i bench bled it or tried to bleed it in the car.

Nate
Sounds normal to me, what did you expect it to do?