• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Holley carb problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter BarnStang
  • Start date Start date Apr 16, 2008

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Apr 16, 2008
#1
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #1
The project s finally alive, but, having a carb issue. Rebuilt an older 600 holley. Good response to idle mixture adjustments. About 20" vacuume. Great idle. Great off idle, but then it stumbles, then screams right up to WOT. This is all in the garage. Not road worthy yet.
Pulled the primary bowl. Blew 2+2 through all the passeges again. Float level set to just at the site hole on primary and secondary. Good strong shot from the accel pump.
If I advance the throttle slowly it will hit a spot where is starts running rough then clears up. If I snap the throttle hard, it will ramp up, die, then scream. Idles right back down no problem.
I've done a few holley's in my time, but am not a big fan. Carb was free. In relitively good condition. I soaked the body and hard parts for three hours, cleaned with 2+2 completely and rebuilt. Am open to suggestions before it goes on the junk carb pile...
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 16, 2008
#2
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #2
Did you remove the slack from the accellerator pump linkage? Does fuel immediately squirt from the nozzles when the throttle is touched ?
 

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Apr 16, 2008
#3
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #3
Yes, all lined up. It's a pretty good stumble. Like it's not metering at part throttle.
Oh, I may look at that again D, it may take a half second or so for the pump shot to get down the runners. I adjusted it, but not after I set the idle. Du. I'll check again.
 

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Apr 16, 2008
#4
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #4
Yea, that was it. THanks D. I figured it was something simple. Nice and smooth now. Free carb is cool! Saved another Holley from certain destruction...
Nothing better than open headers. Guess that will be it for tonight. Will have the neighbors getting uptight soon...
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 16, 2008
#5
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #5
Glad to help and turn another potential "victim" away from the darkside. I buy all my Holleys off the used carb shelf, or on ebay. Only exception to this was the six pack setup, and even then it was a year old with a few hours run time. I've generally found old Holleys to be more trouble than they're worth. The ones I buy are obviously slightly used.
 
C

c24sc

New Member
Jan 1, 2008
114
0
0
Apr 16, 2008
#6
  • Apr 16, 2008
  • #6
how did you manage 20" vacuum? totally stock came? is this a roller 5l or a flat 302?

i can't adjust for more then 16" at idle in park, which drops to 12-13 at idle in gear no enough for power booster.

nate
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 17, 2008
#7
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #7
c24sc said:
how did you manage 20" vacuum? totally stock came? is this a roller 5l or a flat 302?

i can't adjust for more then 16" at idle in park, which drops to 12-13 at idle in gear no enough for power booster.

nate
Click to expand...
If that's not enough vacuum for a power booster, then you've got other problems. I'll bet I had less than that with the 331 when it was in my Ranger. (z303 cam.
 

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Apr 17, 2008
#8
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #8
Bone stock 289 with low compression truck heads. Again, it was free...might have been 18-19". I didn't look that close, but I was right on the edge of the line in the green area of my gauge which should be 20. I was adjusting for max vacuum, not paying attention to the numbers.
 
C

c24sc

New Member
Jan 1, 2008
114
0
0
Apr 17, 2008
#9
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #9
D.Hearne said:
If that's not enough vacuum for a power booster, then you've got other problems. I'll bet I had less than that with the 331 when it was in my Ranger. (z303 cam.
Click to expand...

Other problems..? like a bad booster? can't be. it was all new from ssbc. No vacuum leaks. Carb adjusted for highest vacuum at idle in park(16").

When I start the car, the pedal does go down a little. But it does seem to get rock hard with the car off and pumping it (should drain vacuum after 2-3 pumps and be rock hard like any normal power brake system).

I've already called ssbc for 2 warranties. They are going to think i'm on crack. 1 they missed the adjustable push rod. 2- the mc was weaping out the back and would always bubble no matter how many times i bench bled it or tried to bleed it in the car.

Nate
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 17, 2008
#10
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #10
c24sc said:
Other problems..? like a bad booster? can't be. it was all new from ssbc. No vacuum leaks. Carb adjusted for highest vacuum at idle in park(16").

When I start the car, the pedal does go down a little. But it does seem to get rock hard with the car off and pumping it (should drain vacuum after 2-3 pumps and be rock hard like any normal power brake system).

I've already called ssbc for 2 warranties. They are going to think i'm on crack. 1 they missed the adjustable push rod. 2- the mc was weaping out the back and would always bubble no matter how many times i bench bled it or tried to bleed it in the car.

Nate
Click to expand...
Sounds normal to me, what did you expect it to do?
 
C

c24sc

New Member
Jan 1, 2008
114
0
0
Apr 17, 2008
#11
  • Apr 17, 2008
  • #11
****. it should say doesnt get rock hard after shutting off car (not does).
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 18, 2008
#12
  • Apr 18, 2008
  • #12
I think I'd send the whole kit back and insist on my money back if the quality is that bad.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
Engine 85 GT Excessive Idle
  • lutzkecj
  • Sep 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
195
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 21, 2026
86HO5.0
8
H
Holley Carb Tuning Help
  • hassler
  • Oct 25, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
411
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 29, 2025
85GTStangGuy
D
Engine 85 GT Backfires through Carb
  • DienstXIV
  • Oct 3, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
19
Views
849
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 7, 2025
85GTStangGuy
Engine Gas in my oil
  • limp
  • Jun 15, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
35
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 16, 2026
Mindseye007
T
Resolved No run or idle
  • Thebluefox1
  • Oct 10, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
14
Views
591
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 25, 2025
DadLife0724
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?