Honest difference between the 3.55's and 3.73's?

OK in my quest for a new GT, none of the dealers have been able to locate a GT with the exact options I want. 3.73's were part of that.

so right now, every dealer I'm talking to would have to order one.

A minute ago, one of them called saying he found one exactly how I want only with 3.55's. Now, I know in the grand scheme of things, there's probably not a whole lot different between the two.. I went from like 3.23's or something to 3.73's to eventually 4.10's in my 97 GT and I didn't notice a difference with the lower ratios but did feel a little difference with the 4.10's. It was an automatic transmission though so I don't know how much of the difference was based on that.

Are the new Gt's that different when it comes to the different gears ford offers? The biggest part of this is that it's already built, there's no wait for it, he can knock a couple grand off for incentives, etc.. basically an offer I don't think I can refuse.

I'm just curious if there's a noticable difference with the 2 ratios on these newer cars with the 6 speed. I know I can always drop in a new set whenever so I told the guy that them not being 3.73's isn't a deal breaker.

• Sponsors (?)

There wouldn't be enough difference for me to pass it up, I can say that. I think the main difference may be Gas mileage. You'll probably do better in that category with the 3.55's (but since we're only talking .18 difference it may be made up for in how aggressive you are with the gas pedal).

Can't speak specifically about the ratios you're asking about but I can tell you that the differences (in accelration power) between two stock 88GTs with 2:73s in one and 3:27s in another is almost unnoticable.

The 3:27 guy shifted fairly consistently a little ahead of the 2:73s. The 4th gear pull had the 3:27 guy inching forward slightly at the bottom of the pull (from 40 MPH) and the 3:27 catching and ever so slightly pulling toward the top.

That's a difference of .54 in gear. It wasn't enough to make a great change. The 3:27 guy often complained about running out of gear in third and having to switch to 4th earlier than he'd wanted. That may have just been down to driver practices where that's concerned.

Try carsdirect.com

good prices and will get the car just how you want. I have used it before in the past with good results.

Unless you can use USAA's auto buying program it is the one of the best deals out there.

The difference between the two would be minimal. I do love the 3.73's in my 11.

I honestly do not think you would feel the difference if you drove an 11 GT with 355's and then drove the same exact 11 with 373's, the difference would be slightly better gas mileage, you're talking a 6 spd, you perfect launching and shifting the car with 355's you could smoke a decent driver with 373's.

If I were to guess, you're talking probably less than a 10th of a second in the 1/4 mile between the two gears with a good driver driving both 373's and 355's.

I wouldn't let that stop me from buying the car :nice:

That's too bad. I like the Stone Leather (what mine has) as I think it makes it a little brighter in the car. I'm not fond of all black interiors. My pickup has charcoal gray, and that looks good.
I hope you find what you're looking for.

yeah the dealer with the best price quote is going to email me some paper work to sign tomorrow to to get it built EXACTLY how I want

GT premium
brembos
3.73's
interior comfort package
Saddle interior

the saddle interior, I saw on a V6 yesterday and quite frankly it's absolutely STUNNING in person. It offsets the black trim and dash and black door panels so well. It's also a bit darker orange~ish brown than the pics on fords website. The one I looked at was almost like a baseball glove color. I told the salesman I just couldn't believe that there is not a single GT in the nation right now with this interior, and the other options I want.

Anyways, he said that the price he quoted me doesn't include any incentives that will be active when I take delivery of the car so the price will probably be lower after the incentives are applied.

Instead of putting it towards the price tag on the car, I may end up just using it (if it's cash back) towards FRPP suspension bits. shocks/struts, FRPP k springs and sway bars.

I honestly don't mind a couple extra payments on the loan if it means I get to have the car just how I want it. The wife hilariously enough, is also on my side with this so :shrug::D

When my dad had my 86 for a while he put 373's. He wanted to take it on a 5 hour drive each way and so he put the 55's back in. He got 33mpg since it was mostly hwy. Guess he missed the pull of the 73's more though cause when he got back home he put them back in. Apparently he felt like it was worth the extra work for him to change them again. Cant remember for sure but It was like 3-5mpg diff.

I have an '11 with 3.73s. My 2007 had 3.55s.

The major difference is that one was a 5-speed stick, the new car is a 6-speed stick. Both cars do 70mph on the highway in top gear at 2250rpm. In the '07, that would net me between 28-31 mpg for strict highway driving...so I'm hoping for the same with the '11.

It's 20 degrees in the Motor City, so I can't attest to the acceleration of 3.73s, but 2nd gear seems to spin a little too easily...I have the summer-only tires of the Brembo package on the car (snow tires coming tomorrow).

I was shopping for 3.73s specifically (like you)...and thankfully the dealer found some cars with that option. I bought mine 12/30/10 and got the winter incentive cash. That being said....if you can FIND a car that has what you want, except for the gears...get it. You can always install gears of your choice for maybe $700-800.

I was lucky and found a car with everything I wanted. I considered saddle interior, but fell in love with the Brick Red/Cashmere stripe guts.