Electrical Hood gone engine got wet

OK, bit of back story. Driving along and hood latch came undone somehow. Hood flew up and broke. Took hood off so it was at least drivable until new hood came in. While off, a good sized rain storm came through and soaked the engine. After the storm, the car started right up with no issue. Driving to work and the car shut off while I was driving down the street. Pull over, would not start back up. This was two weeks ago.

I have replaced the distributor with a new control module, listened for fuel pump actuation which is there although it doesnt seem to shut off now. Plugs are good, wires are good, spark is good to the plugs. Not sure the direction to go from here.

Coil is new
Distributor is new
Plugs are new
Cap and Rotor are new

Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

For now I would disconnect the negative battery cable and let it dry out. If you see rain coming cover it up. It may take a couple days to fully dry out. Once you think it's dry I would put a battery maintainer on it and charge the battery up. There's a chance everything is still ok. Make sure you hear the hood click when you close it.

OK, update. Bought a OBD1 after General Karthief recommendation. Received no faults. Im thinking this cant be right since the car will not start. We replaced the ignition since it was sticking a little. Still nothing. We have purchased a new 130 amp alternator and fuel pump that we will try this weekend.

OK, update. Bought a OBD1 after General Karthief recommendation. Received no faults. Im thinking this cant be right since the car will not start. We replaced the ignition since it was sticking a little. Still nothing. We have purchased a new 130 amp alternator and fuel pump that we will try this weekend.
Your going to spend alot of money chasing this problem with changing parts......
Isnt' there a " crank no start" post on here to help you step by step???

A noid light would help diagnose a fuel related problem at the injectors. I'd say if you can hear the pump then the pump isn't the problem. @mustystang is on to something with that suggestion though, something got wet and doesn't like it. Wiring issues can be hard to track down hence why most everyone hates them (me included!). If it were me, I think I'd start by looking at the ground connections to make sure they're in good shape, then pull connectors apart starting with the most obvious ones, blow them out, clean them up if they need it, and add some dielectric grease. So far, that would cost me about $20-25 before I even started to think of throwing parts at it.

Good luck! I hope this helps - a little bit at least!

Poof!
This will save you time and money.
Just read the directions, the steps are in order,

Reactions: 1 user
OK, update #3 I think. Replaced alternator (it was in the plans anyway) and the fuel pump. Checked the wires, unplugged the sensors and checked for moisture. Nothing. Still get no prime from gas tank with ignition in acc. mode. Checked fuses all good. Cranks and acts like it wants to start but no gas it seems. So my thoughts are fuel relay or ECM at this point. My multimeter took a crap on me early today so no way to check for anything at the fuel relay. I don't want to have to put a pony down but with a broken leg I have to make decisions. LOL. Just kidding could never part with her. Do need input for real though. THANKS.

OK, Starting at the top of the list, everything seemingly has checked out good. We have spark. All fuseable links have continuity. Ignition switch is good. All ground wires are tight. The issue is fuel. With key to accessory I should get something from fuel pump. To make sure I started off good, a new fuel pump with filter was installed. Still nothing. A new fuel relay was installed. Still nothing. I jumped the test connector as suggested, still nothing. I looked at the fuel inertia switch. The red button is still depressed. When testing the wires for 12V, I get 2.3V. Thats where I am. I know that i should be get a prime from the pump and I am not. The wires to the inertia are at 2.3V Not sure what they should be. The OBD1 still never goes past 000 in the beginning. This is crazy.

OK, Starting at the top of the list, everything seemingly has checked out good. We have spark. All fuseable links have continuity. Ignition switch is good. All ground wires are tight. The issue is fuel. With key to accessory I should get something from fuel pump. To make sure I started off good, a new fuel pump with filter was installed. Still nothing. A new fuel relay was installed. Still nothing. I jumped the test connector as suggested, still nothing. I looked at the fuel inertia switch. The red button is still depressed. When testing the wires for 12V, I get 2.3V. Thats where I am. I know that i should be get a prime from the pump and I am not. The wires to the inertia are at 2.3V Not sure what they should be. The OBD1 still never goes past 000 in the beginning. This is crazy.