Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

I’m hoping to have time to go out there in the next couple days and keep chipping away. Obviously these aren’t stock pistons, but they’re only 1.90 openings. I also noticed the block has been decked and the piston doesn’t sit in the hole. From what I can guess, the reliefs are about 10cc based on what I think is info on them I found online. With the .027” HG, I should be at 9.2:1 compression.

4881EF58-07B9-402B-A012-2FC568C9BF52.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

When had my promaxx heads on a stock block. i clayed one side to check ptv clearance and it was fine. When i took that engine apart i found that the valves kissed the pistons on the side i didn't check.... When i did a rehone and new rings etc on that block for the maverick i did a little dremel work... (not really recommended for a high performance application) to make room....:shrug: Luckily i had no bent valves. BTW the cam was an E cam.

Im curious about this. Were the valve reliefs backwards?
No I'm not sure why. This was a factory sealed engine as well. The machine shop that did my boss block told me its possible the factory decked the block on one side because of a blemish. He claims to have seen that on most manufacturers over the years. I never checked beyond that and only did a hone and rebearing and rering on it. It was basiccally a shadow to slight hit on the edge of the relief on every piston on just the one bank 5,6,7,8. I checked 1 and that's it.

No I'm not sure why. This was a factory sealed engine as well. The machine shop that did my boss block told me its possible the factory decked the block on one side because of a blemish. He claims to have seen that on most manufacturers over the years. I never checked beyond that and only did a hone and rebearing and rering on it. It was basiccally a shadow to slight hit on the edge of the relief on every piston on just the one bank 5,6,7,8. I checked 1 and that's it.
Strange. Ill check both sides to be sure.

Ya when i pulled the heads i was like WTH!! I did clearance all pistons before i put it back together but with diff. heads.
Clayed the other side and it’s all good.

I need some thread sealer for the lower head studs and some push rods and I’ll get this thing back together.

Reactions: 4 users
I ordered a set of Comp pushrods for $45. I'm sure the stock ones would be fine for this mild application, but meh. I also ordered the copper spray for the MLS head gaskets... Also probably overkill but can't hurt right?

Summit says it can take anywhere from 2 to 14 days for all this stuff to ship so it sounds like I'm going to have a lot of free time to clean the engine bay and stuff. Except its about to be really cold, so chances are none of that happens!

Reactions: 1 users
I ordered a set of Comp pushrods for $45. I'm sure the stock ones would be fine for this mild application, but meh. I also ordered the copper spray for the MLS head gaskets... Also probably overkill but can't hurt right?

Summit says it can take anywhere from 2 to 14 days for all this stuff to ship so it sounds like I'm going to have a lot of free time to clean the engine bay and stuff. Except its about to be really cold, so chances are none of that happens!
They've had that disclaimer up since the beginning of the pandemic. If its in stock my stuff has shipped within a day.

Should have my parts tomorrow, maybe this weekend Ill have enough time to work on getting it together. I was hoping to upgrade a few other things, but I think for now it'll just be easier to get it running as it was and mess with everything else later on as time allows. I really want to get the contour fans on at least.

Also, I read that I can send my heads back to Promaxx and they'll run their CNC program on them to make them 210cc for about $600. Those 210s on a 393 made some stout numbers on a motor that Richard Holdener did a while back. If my 302 ever pukes, I still have a 351 on the stand...

This is the first time in a long while Ive found myself bored. I normally go outside since im WFH now, but its 34 and raining.

So my package from summit is stuck in Ohio. In it is the copper spray I was going to use on the head gaskets. In the interest of getting the motor back together, is it a huge deal if I dont put the copper spray on the MLS head gaskets?

Edit* did some googling and found a lot of info pointing to NOT using the copper spray on MLS gaskets.

Last edited: