Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

And as soon as it ran again, it died.

I adjusted the noisy rocker, same one was loose. Started it and ran in the garage for 10-ish mins and all was good. Went for a ride and it died outside my neighborhood. Spent some time yesterday troubleshooting only to find that the Megasquirt seems to have been fried.

What I think happened is I forgot to tighten the + battery cable. It arced and fried the MS somehow. I can't prove it but that's what I think happened. When the car died, all power shut off. Wiggled the cable and everything came back on.

Unsure what my next move is now. Need to get to the end of the month and get a few things behind me and see what funding looks like.
Is there any way to test the MS unit? Have you contacted them to ask if there's something you could test with a multimeter?

• Sponsors (?)

Is there any way to test the MS unit? Have you contacted them to ask if there's something you could test with a multimeter?
I havent contacted them yet. I ran out of time this weekend and havent been able to do anything else.
Or is there something that can be wired in to keep voltage spikes from killing them?
Probably something also worth looking into

No. Work has been eating my lunch. I've been sent to Fort Worth to sit on a job site for a month +/- until things smooth out. When I am home, I'm focused on other things. I need to get through March.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, my car program is taking a hard right turn this weekend. I'm buying another vehicle - my neighbor is lightening up his fleet and is selling me something cool at a screaming deal. Ill post pics once I get it home.

• Happy
Reactions: 4 users
Y'all, its been a mess lately. I've been living in a hotel in Ft. Worth for the last month during the week trying to drag a project across the finish line. I sincerely hope next week is the last week I gotta go up there.

Anywho. Here's my purchase. '96 XLT, 351. It's got a pretty clean interior. I'm going to order some new upholstery for the seats. Motor has a noise, nobody can seem to figure out if its a rod or a valve train noise. Neighbor I got it from did all new lifters/pushrods/rockers and its still there. I dumped a bunch of lucas oil stabilizer in there and it helped some so my money is on rod knock. It leaks from every possible place and the undercarriage is a complete mess of oil and dirt grime.
I will fix it in the coming months and probably sell it. The bronco market is pretty hot right now!

I havent really driven much it yet, but it's 100% stock with the exception of a magnaflow muffler. I really really dig it!

B1.jpg
B2.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Every market is stupid right now, people just trying to turn their money. If the P/O didn't reman the ecu, I would send it out, those and the OBS trucks like to kill a bunch of traces when the caps start leaking, much worse then the mustang stuff.. This dude repairs some pretty fubar boards on them.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYAF59mTZY

I did that on my 94 F150 a few years ago

Monthly check in. Work was insane up til last week. I'm on a company-imposed 6 week sabbatical now, so that's cool.

I wandered out into the garage today and did more testing. verified voltage getting to the computer so I feel comfortable saying it's officially dead. I have a local buddy with another MS that he is going to let me borrow to test my assumption. I'm going on a short road trip so Ill update once I get home next week.

No updates on the bronco, either. Motor has a rod knock so Ill pull it for a refresh after I get the car going again.

Reactions: 2 users