Electrical Horn button or horn relay?

Gs1987GT

Sep 25, 2019
MidAtlantic
Gents, good evening,

I'm making some progress with my no horn problem. The prior owner had jury rigged up a horn to pass inspection (horrible job with a push button under the dash). The horn fuse was blown so I disconnected the wires going to both horns and the fuse stopped blowing.

When I push the horn button I can hear the horn relay click.

I purchased two new Ford horns from LMR and installed them this evening. When I hooked up the battery again the horns started blowing right away so I knew I had other issues.

I have constant power to the horns so I figure I have one of two issues.

- the horn relay is stuck open internally
- the horn button is bad (foam between the brass contacts on the wheel is deteriorated and making constant contact.

When I checked it with a test light when I pushed the horn button the test light flashed but the test light had constant power.

How would I test the relay to see if it's bad or if it's the horn button?

If it's the horn button, I believe on my 87 it just pulls off and then has a wire or two to disconnect?

If it's the horn button, how do I dismantle it to replace the deteriorated foam?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

• Sponsors (?)

LMR has a simple rebuild kit for the horn button if you don't want to make your own. I think they maybe even have a video showing the install. I did it to my horn button and it worked fine.

Nice, thanks guys, appreciate that. Since I already removed my horn relay (major pita to without breaking the connector plug) , I figured I'd replace it since it was $16 at advance. I also ordered the horn button kit from lmr so that's on its way also.

Hopefully between those I'll have my horn back. Feels good to be finally making some progress with the car and fixing several poor past repairs (rigs). The new Ford horns I bought from lmr do sound good and are loud.