Horrible Noise After Motor/trans Clutch Install

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
Ok I dropped my 408 in. It is bolted up to a tko 600 trans. Everything is new. New clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, to bearing, clutch fork. I bought all of the trans parts from the same company so I know everything is made to work together. I don't remember the name of the clutch but it was made to support 600 hp. So I fire the motor up, it sounds great. I take it for a very short test drive to the end of the street. Everything works fine. I babied it and got to 4th gear. I come back, park the car for a while. Start the car back up. I go to pull out of my driveway which is steep. I put the clutch in and pull out very easy, and I start hearing this rapping or clanking noise. I pull the car back down. I go to start the car again, and now the starter is spining the motor slower. I start the car, and I hear the noise at idle. I rev the car and it get louder with the higher rpm. The car still drives though. I really dont think its the motor making noise. It sounds like something in the bell housing. I thought it could be the piece of tin that goes between the block and the trans, but thats bolts in. I dont think that could move. Any ideas? If something major was broke, would the car still drive?

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me, I'd pull the trans back out. WAAAAY too much money tied up in that to guess about it. It's probably something silly, but definitely worth checking out.

So heres some observations. I start the car today back it out of the garage, and no noise at all. I let it idle to operating temp, no noise. I take the car for a short drive, less than 1/4 mile I hear the noise a little. It sounds like its more in the trans. Take it for another short drive, and the noise gets worse and loud like yesterday. I park the car, and notice trans fluid leaking from between the motor oil pan and the bellhousing. Maybe something let go in the trans, and its leaking because of that? It's a brand new tko 600. I bought it from a dealer who put the "ensure shift" in, which is a preventative so there is no gear grinding between the 2-3 shifts. So did they not put something back correctly? I'm lost.

So heres some observations. I start the car today back it out of the garage, and no noise at all. I let it idle to operating temp, no noise. I take the car for a short drive, less than 1/4 mile I hear the noise a little. It sounds like its more in the trans. Take it for another short drive, and the noise gets worse and loud like yesterday. I park the car, and notice trans fluid leaking from between the motor oil pan and the bellhousing. Maybe something let go in the trans, and its leaking because of that? It's a brand new tko 600. I bought it from a dealer who put the "ensure shift" in, which is a preventative so there is no gear grinding between the 2-3 shifts. So did they not put something back correctly? I'm lost.
Take it out and take it back for repair. Surely they gave you some kind of warranty when you purchased it.

Reactions: 1 user