horse power

shoguun

Jul 28, 2009
anyone wanna help me guesstimate how much horse power my engine has. its a 91 5.0 ho motor, roller cam, shorty headers with manual trans, removed smog an ac and new timing chain the gears. putting it in a 68 coupe. the engine was stock 225 hp

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly probably not getting much more than the stock rated amount. I would say at most you gained like 10hp with the headers depending on how free flowing they are compared to the stock 5.0 shorties. Removing all the belt driven equipment is a minimal difference when horsepower is that low IMO.

I have the same setup you have in my '66 with the exception of LT headers and let me tell you it's a nice kick in the butt. One of the benefits of an old car is how light they are compared to current generation cars.

I would have to agree. You will pick up alittle HP because of the air pump removal but the ac really only robs when it is on. maybe 10-15hp above stock at most. That being said if the motor hasn't been freshened up you could be making less then stock power.

Here are some rear wheel dyno numbers from my 87 5.0 notch. 100% stock it made 198 rwhp. With the addition of shorty headers a full 2 1/2" exhaust with hi flo cats, underdrive pullys a 65 mm throtle body and a K+N filter it made 227 rwhp. A/C, air pump etc are still on the motor.