Hot Rod Cams frustrations: Can Anybody Help?!

FIRE IT UP

Jan 10, 2009
Not too recently now I bought and installed a set of the modular 3v hot rod cams from Ford Racing. I had Ford do the install and a tuner do the dyno (using SCT software)...since the install and tuning, I've been getting what can only be described as "hanging rpms"...immediately when I drove away from the dyno tuner, while on the road I used the clutch to slow to a stop when the rpms got stuck at around 3000...so there i was, sitting at a stop sign with the rpms continually revving at around 3000...it only took a few seconds until they "unstuck" and slowly traveled back to idle. Since that day I have been getting emails from the tuner to try and fix this problem...We've gotten close, to where the rpms wont hang until around the third day after reinstalling the last tune....
it's a strange phenomena where not only the rpms will stick around 2500-3000 when rolling to a stop, but also the rpms will very slowly travel downwards to where they should be....has anyone had any experience with this?? anyone who can help me would be greatly appreciated as my tuner had run out of ideas, and it's completely absurd to have to reinstall the tune ever 3 days or so....:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Strange problem. Have you spoken to the Ford installer since the issues started, or have you been working only with the dyno tuner? It might be worth the effort to get them both on the phone at the same time, since like tommyroc mentioned, it may be a problem with the cam and not the tune.

When Kevin MacDonald (Diablosport) dyno tuned my car at JPC Racing after my cam/spring install we went for a ride and I complained about the hanging rpm's. He adjusted it twice before I was happy right then and there. You do want it to hang for a couple of seconds to keep things from loading up and causing a stall condition because the fuel injection system needs a couple of seconds to figure out what it wants to do. Cams make this a bit worse. It is adjustable, your tuner just needs to know the parameters.