Fox Hotter spark???

BeaverMeat

Sep 4, 2020
Nanaimo
The car smells like unburnt fuel and most noticeable in open loop. It's not horrible, it just stinks. The cats/pump have been removed and have read this is a normal symptom with the 5.0. The engine is stock except for short headers, BBK 70mm TB, and custom intake. New Motortcraft fuel pressure regulator and refurbished injectors were done. No codes except for 67 (clutch) and 95 (fuel pump secondary circuit)... which will eventually be fixed with some wiring when I get around to it.

Wondering if changing to a hotter spark plug or different gap will help burn the unburnt fuel.

Currently running Autolite 25s.

Would it be ok to switch to 26s?

Any input?

• Sponsors (?)

If the car is running rich, hotter plugs might stay cleaner longer. But it will not clean up the extra fuel.
After carefully going through the surging idle checklist (including cleaning and tightening the salt and pepper shakers, having the computer serviced, fixing vac lines, adding the other smog parts and the air pump back etc.), my 5.0 did not smell of fuel any more than my pre-cat cars. Before that, It stank at idle.
I suggest following the list carefully to make sure your car is running its best. The list is like a full health checkup for your car.

(I did add a high flow catted x pipe back after it was running well to quiet it down some more.)

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Cant put the cats back in, per se... Its a 5.0 swapped Volvo and there isn't enough room for cats on the custom exhaust currently. The plan is to redo the exhaust eventually.

I'll have to take a close look at the vacuum system. I do hear a "whine" that starts when come to a stop.

Dumbass question… how should the vacuum hoses be routed into the EVR (EGR vacuum control)? I think I had it hooked up backwards.

The vacuum system has been simplified after the smog pump removal so I don’t have the tree or the reservoir. It’s just manifold to FPR and manifold to EVR/EGR.

The vacuum source line from the manifold should connect to which EVR connector stud? The long or short one?

@jrichker for the EGR vacuum routing please

The rich smell is because of the removed cats. Either live with it or put newer style cats in that dont require an air pump.

I’m aware if that… it’s a bit stinkier than usual and my mileage sucks.

When I was cleaning up the engine bay I did notice I installed the vapour purge solenoid backwards because I flipped it over. Doh! So that got me thinking that I also crossed the EVR hoses.

I’ve stared at diagrams already and they don’t specify which connector goes where.

The vacuum block is removed along with the nylon lines.

If your mileage sucks, it might not just be because of missing cats. Is it eye watering, don’t smoke in the garage rich? That’s not just the cats. Do the checklist top to bottom.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user

That one wasn’t helpful. I used the one I attached. I guess the longer connector stud goes to the manifold and the short connector stud goes to the EGR.

Replacing the vacuum lines and rotating the purge solenoid to the correct orientation fixed the problem. Now there is only a slight fuel smell. I’d say the majority of the smell was coming from that fuel tank… now the fumes are getting sucked into the engine as designed.

Attachments

• 4B56A4F0-66B5-4F27-94DC-E834E5026336.jpeg
    4B56A4F0-66B5-4F27-94DC-E834E5026336.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 1 users
That one wasn’t helpful. I used the one I attached. I guess the longer connector stud goes to the manifold and the short connector stud goes to the EGR.

Replacing the vacuum lines and rotating the purge solenoid to the correct orientation fixed the problem. Now there is only a slight fuel smell. I’d say the majority of the smell was coming from that fuel tank… now the fumes are getting sucked into the engine as designed.
did you figure the vacuum lines out I still can't figure out what to do with a few lines since I took the EGR off till I can get a new one it snapped where the bolt goes anyone got a cheap one to sell or can tell me how the go