House of Kolor Paint? Is it worth it ?

Build an 05 GT into a show car and all the Custom Bike guys keep telling me to use House of Kolor.

Well, it may be fine for them only painting a gas tank and a couple of fenders, but holy crap that stuff is expensive. Especially considering that this is a color change for show which means floor pans, interior ... etc.

Body shop is telling me that is will be about $4500 CDN ( Materials Only ) for everything needed from House of Kolor.

Skitz

• Sponsors (?)

You need a lot of paint and clearcoat to do a color change!
Good paint is not cheap. Some chameleons and pearls can be 1200-1500 a gallon so sounds like you are in the ballpark on materials.

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 396
It is not about how much I have in my bank account, it is whether the cost of the paint will be reflected in the final product.

I don't just want to build a show car, I want to build a show winner.

I am going to be into this car for obscene coin ... to half ass the paint after doing everything else does not make sense.

I heard from the Bike Guys who use little paint and I read the House of Kolor website, now I am curious to hear from those who might actually show their cars as to whether it is worth the money.

Skitz

68torinogt said:
thats what i meant i was saying you CAN get the same results from ppg but it would be easier to go with house of color but when you change the color consider soda blasting and striping the car so the paint doesnt look like the paint is caked on.

Sorry, I think I took you out of context the last time.

I just called off the paint until October, just goign to color match the body kit to silver and then wetsand a buff the thing to death for the summer.

they are telling me 12 - 15 weeks now for paint, so they can have it next winter and I will just drive the snot out of it for the summer :D

good plan. you can get good results with any brand of paint, it just depends on the amount and quality of work done. i have seen cheap paint come out really nice with some effort.

Don't get me wrong, the quality of the paint does have a lot to do with how it will turn out, but in my opinion prep is the most important part of painting. I've seen some really good looking cars with paint jobs from Maaco, but the owner spent a LOT of time sanding and prepping the car himself. If you don't prep the car properly, it doesn't matter how good the paint is :)

Skitzoid said:
Build an 05 GT into a show car and all the Custom Bike guys keep telling me to use House of Kolor.

Well, it may be fine for them only painting a gas tank and a couple of fenders, but holy crap that stuff is expensive. Especially considering that this is a color change for show which means floor pans, interior ... etc.

Body shop is telling me that is will be about $4500 CDN ( Materials Only ) for everything needed from House of Kolor.

Skitz

Its ALL we use
you get what you pay for
http://www.uniqueautomotivedesigns.com

Unless your going to do your mustang in Kameleon, 4500 for materials sounds pretty steep. As a distributor for House of Kolor, I can tell you first hand that HOK has a bad rap for being expensive... One of the main reasons for this is, most distributors/shops tend to mark up everything that has HOK written on it.

When you decide to do the job, I would find out everything you need for the particular job, and shop around. It is also very important to make sure that if you start a job with HOK, you should finish with it. I cant tell you how many Kandy jobs have come back and the color has been bleached out only after a coulple of years of being out in the sun....

The reason for this?
There are painters out there who will sell a custom job and say they use all HOK, but they will cut a corner and use lets say PPG, or w/e clear. The problem with that is other clearcoats dont have the UV protection that HOK clears have. The best part about it is that HOK clear is fairly competetively priced to other quality clearcoats on the maket.

And to answer the question of weather use should consider using HOK or something else on a custom job, i belive that there is no contest. While Dupont has recently tired to come out with "Hot Hues" and BASF has their own custom line, none of them have the clarity that HOK offers. Having talked to the founder of HOK, Jon Kosmoski many times, he has indicated that the other companies are merely immitators focused on trying to enter a hot market, while HOK has and is the innovator in Custom colors since 1956.

In the end the choice is yours but if you want a show winner car, I would make sure you have a competent painter, and shop your materials, and consider buying them first hand so you know what is going on your car
There are many "HOK" jobs out there, that arent HOK....

gl:flag: