How can I safely jack up the engine and replace motor mounts without a lift?

StreetDreamsGT

Mar 6, 2003
New Jersey
While I'm working on my longtubes I'm going to replace the motor mounts (seeing how I have to because the mounts are so screwed up, i'll get you guys pix wen I pull em out, u guys r gonna laugh wen ya see em) neway how should I go about jacking up the engine? I need to know soon because I need my car back on tha road a.s.a.p.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Wooden block under the oil pan works fine. Make sure both mounts are loose first or you won't be able to get it jacked high enough to get them out, also rock the motor a little to one side while doing the mount on the oposite side.

if you have a stock mech fan, i would remove it and the shroud to give some jacking room.

Jrichker has a nice post with bolt sizes, etc if you get stuck or want more info (some mounts dont have threads that interface with your existing nuts, and verse vice).
good luck.

89roadster said:
Yes, that's what he's talking about. The oil pickup sits very low in the pan and if you compress that pan at all, you might cut off the supply of oil and your block becomes trebuchet ammunition.

ok so I got it all, jack it up by the flanges, make sure I unbolt the stock motor mounts and pull the fan and shroud, anything else?

I'm gonna be pulling the longtubes out, unbolting the steering rack (to get the longtubes out) and pulling the fan and shroud, how would you suggest using a jack to jack it up by the flanges? one side at a time? also how does the fan get disconnected? i've never taken the stock fan out yet. Finally, do I need to worry bout the tranny at all or is it all good because I wont be moving the motor up too high?

Personally, I think doing one side at a time is the way to go if you're going to be jacking from underneath. Others may have adifferent outlook. Also, if I were doing it, I would be using an engine crane to lift it which gives full access to the bottom and nothing to slip off anything.