How come sometimes 1st gear doesn't pull at all?

• Sponsors (?)

I've felt the same thing. It's not major, it just feels a little slugish compared to other times when it feels like it takes off like a rocket.
Again, not traction control and tires aren't spinning.
I have to wonder about my clutch because I just noticed the pedal has absolutely no play in it when it's all the way up.
Shouldn't it have at least a little?

Jason

Stangnut said:
I've felt the same thing. It's not major, it just feels a little slugish compared to other times when it feels like it takes off like a rocket.
I have to wonder about my clutch because I just noticed the pedal has absolutely no play in it when it's all the way up.

Jason

yes, you should have a little play inth eclutch pedal. if you don't everything is kinda setting against each other, or it's partially engaged :notnice:

Stangnut said:

Jason

Well, the clutch pedal is supposed to be self adjusting, so whether the clutch is new or worn, you shouldn't be able to tell that way.........

What about intake air temperature? If its taking in significantly hotter air, it'll affect the performance. I notice a similar effect in performance if i'm doing alot of city driving, or driving the car after only sitting 10-20 minutes with a hot engine (turn engine off, let sit 20 mins, intake tube and manifold heat up, start engine and drive car). The lag in performance usually goes away after 5 or so mins of steady cruising, after the engine compartment has cooled down again.

I forgot I posted this post a while back. Hasn't got the time to check it. Anyhow, it could be the clutch or the temp, but I will describe the situation some more.

It tends (I could say always) does this when the car took off from when it was completely stopped. It does that more when I took a turn also. I guess I got some more tests to do. The car only has 32xx miles on it, so I don't think that it's the clutch. Anyhow, I'll keep testing and see for sure of what initiate the problem. Thanks for all the help guys. :nice:

The stupid factory clutch adjuster could be over tightened. I think there is a tech article on how to manually adjust it in the Corral tech section. I threw it out and got a steeda adjustable setup, worlds better.

02zincgtvert said:
The stupid factory clutch adjuster could be over tightened. I think there is a tech article on how to manually adjust it in the Corral tech section. I threw it out and got a steeda adjustable setup, worlds better.
That sounds like one of my problems.
I'll look for the article.
If anybody happens to find it first, let me know.

Jason

Isn't there something in the manual about manually adjusting your clutch? If I recall you are supposed to put you toe under your clutch pedal (car not running, obviously) and lift up until you hear a "click."

As far as your problem goes cotton, I agree with most on here--sounds like you clutch or some weird malfunction where your TC is kicking in even though you have it turned off...maybe a bad switch? :shrug:

All I know is that if I floor it in first in my basically stock '03 GT, I'm going sideways.

Let us know what you find out.

ShadowGT said:
Isn't there something in the manual about manually adjusting your clutch? If I recall you are supposed to put you toe under your clutch pedal (car not running, obviously) and lift up until you hear a "click."
I got that trick from my 5.0 days and tried it already. I think it's supposed to do just the opposite though.

Jason

put the car in a higher gear on the highway, and floor it. if the rpms jump up a noticable amount, and the mph does not, its your clutch thats the problem. otherwise, i dont have any idea if you say its not the traction control.
Mike