How did you get your drive shaft bolts off?

dcarlson said:
What he said. That is how I do it.

Torque spec is over hundred ft/lbs for those bolts. Use blue loctite and tighten them TIGHT. Torqued properly, blue is all you need. But if you cant get good leverage to tighten them really tight you might want to use red loctite.

You should replace the bolts per Ford Service manual and they already have loctite on them P/N N800594-S100 And the Torque Spec for them is 71 - 95 Ft. Lbs.

• Sponsors (?)

HardmanGT said:
Interlock the box end of the larger (longer) wrench into the open end of the 12mm. You are making a longer wrench (more levreage) out of this setup. I can usually get them off that way. Worst case scenario is to push on the wrenches with my foot while laying under the car. Don't kick, just push. That'll break 'em free.
Do what works, but that is the reason that there are wrenches in my garage w/ broken "ears" on them. My bro's have interlocked the wrenches and broken the ears off of the open ended side. Torches aren't very expensive. A small propane torch is probably less than $20. PB Blaster probably wouldn't hurt, but it is flammable, so if you spray it on first, watch out when you put the torch on there, it's gonna burn off. Just be careful and try not to break them off because you don't want to deal with that

This is the easiest way to take em out and put em back in:

Get a nice quality 12mm boxwrench (it has to be a good one cause you will do bad things to it and it has to survive). Get a 10 lb deadblow mallet. Position the boxwrench on the bolt, set the e-brake tight, get down there and smack the boxwrench end and follow through (most people I see hammering just bounce the hammer on top of the target, producing nothing). You need to keep pushing once it hits to keep it from rebounding. 2-3 blows and it will break free, no torching required. Reverse process to get them back in.

you can get a 12 point 12mm socket from your parts store, they are cheap and you can use the adapter to put it on a breaker bar ( for leverage ). Jack it up and set your parking brake. If you kick it the wrench could slip and strip the head, then you're really up the creek

And if all else fails use heat

TheUser said:
Do what works, but that is the reason that there are wrenches in my garage w/ broken "ears" on them. My bro's have interlocked the wrenches and broken the ears off of the open ended side. Torches aren't very expensive. A small propane torch is probably less than $20. PB Blaster probably wouldn't hurt, but it is flammable, so if you spray it on first, watch out when you put the torch on there, it's gonna burn off. Just be careful and try not to break them off because you don't want to deal with that
That is why I buy craftsman tools. Lifetime warranty.