How did you remove your stock H pipe? It impossible!

DCx 98GT

Founding Member
Oct 31, 2001
San Bernardino California
I bought a catted Magnaflow X and a magnaflow catback yesterday, I tried installing it today and failed :nonono: I removed the cat back in about 15 minutes, but when it came time to remove the H pipe I was stumped. I unpluged the rear O2's and tried to unplug the front ones but could not reach the clips. So I figured I would removed the H pipe and cats from the manafolds. I was only able to get 2 bolts off, one on the pass side and one on the drivers side. I could not get the bolt out that is behind the starter. I also had no Idea how to get a wrench on the upper bolt on the drivers side behind the O2 sensor. Can some one point me in the right direction? I think I may have rounded the head of the bolt behind the starter on the pass side thinking I had a lock on it. Does anyone know of a shop that can install it for me?

On another note, I think I just paid 500 bucks for a stock exhaust. The magnaflow is so quiet! I can only hear a difference when I start the car or yeall haul some ass in all gears. When I get the whole thing Hooked up will it sound better? I hope so....

Thanks,
Justin

• Sponsors (?)

Magnaflow sounds MUCH different when you hook an x pipe up to it, trust me! I doubt your car is anything like mine, but to unbolt the h pipe from the collectors I used a 20" extension to get up in there. I was able to get them off even with the O2 sensors on.

You'll need a couple long extensions as stated above, and a universal joint adapter to go inbetween them to go around the curves in the pipes...First get some rust spray like PB Blaster or Rust Eater and spray those suckers down and let it soak in, it'll make it much easier...You may still need a breaker bar depending on how rusted up they are...

x pipe

I was doing this with the help of my "car stupid" cousin who was only there to help hole the exhaust pipes. Any how I had all of the tools stated above I even took off the bar that run from both sides of the K member. I was going to try and remove the starter to get to that bolt but it got late so I threw on the cat back and drove it around the bolck. Mt tail pipes are even in length but the drivers side touches the bumper while the pass side has a tiny little gap. Oh well, Ill fix that when I take another crack at the X pipe.

Justin