How do I 'burp' the coolant system?

91lxttrim

Mar 7, 2006
AZ
My coolant gauge goes up about half way 5 minutes into my drive then goes back down and stays there. I know 5.0's are notorious for getting air pockets in the cooling system and was wondering if anybody knows the best way to 'burp' that air pocket?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Make a trip to Taco Bell and get the Jalapeño Special to put in your radiator. It will definitely burp then.
In the 13 years I have been driving and fixing my Mustang, I have never had to burp the cooling system. The only thing I ever did was to make sure the overflow tank had coolant in it and the cooling system didn't have any leaks.

i've never had a problem either but....thats probably because when ever i do anything water/radiator related, i usually start the car with the radiator cap off, and as it warms up then the t-stat opens and you can run it that way and add or check water/coolant for a few before it gets too hot and you need to put the cap on.....

i'm not going to recomend anyone do that though unless they know what their doing because you do need to watch it and pay attention. but it works well for me...:nice:

lol jrichker. My problem is probably the fact that when I installed the electric fan, I took out the overflow tank. I'll put it back in.

Does anyone know of a nice aftermarket overflow tank that fits? There's no 'nice' way to re-install the stock one with the big Black Magic fan shroud...

(Almost Stock, your engine bay is INSANE!! nice site too. I only dream of engine bays like that!)

About once in evey 20 times I fill one of my 5.0 engines, I don't get it full, or get air in it. Never really paid much attention until recently. Overheated regularly for months, not badly but more than it ever had. Seemed to be full cold, had some in the overflow tank.

One night I took a 10 mile drive at 55 for the first time in months, and it went way up, came down and its been fine since.

i have never had a problem with air pockets but i always drill a hole at the top of the thermostat as stated above if it doesnt already have one some thermostats come from the factory and have a hole with a small bb installed to prevent backwards flow...

Just a quick question with out starting a new thread, I have a moroso overflow tank and someone told me to drill a hole in the top of it that way it has some where to go if it gets to hot should I do this?