How do i change my oil filler to a breather?

• Sponsors (?)

No all you need to do is buy the threaded breather made by ford racing for about $20.00 and you just remove the fill cap and replace it with the breather.

VibrantRedGT said:
The MAC cold air kit has a breather. That vacuum line going from the CAI to the oil filler neck is it. Keep the cap on unless your doing forced induction or something.
Well that is true but my MAC cold air intake was stolen when my car was broken into and vandelized. So now i have an anderson racing N/A Power pipe. Which doesnt have a place for the tube. So i wanted to put a breather in there. Anyone got a part number or link to where i could get one that would fit?

SuperStang83 said:
Why would you want a breather?

Jakob

On an N/A car I don't think there is a need. As long as you have a funtioning PCV then you really don't need one. A true breather system would have one on each valve cover and PCV capped. Again, though that's a different animal.

i would think you'd want a breather to relieve any built up pressure that is present and give the steam from the hot oil a way to escape...but i could be wrong. just seems like a safety valve of sorts to me to keep oil from going into the combustion chambers...anyways, here's a full PCV explanation i found on google (it was on the 3.8 mustang message board)...enjoy. btw, that ford racing breather at summit looks very nice for 20 bucks, i say get that one.

NOTE: there are some references in here to the '99-2000 v-6 stangs, but you'll get the idea from this explanation...

"Positive Crankcase Ventilation is a system that was developed to remove harmful vapors from the engine and to prevent those vapors from being expelled into the atmosphere. The PCV system does this by using manifold vacuum to draw vapors from the crankcase into the intake manifold. Vapor is then carried with the fuel/air mixture into the combustion chambers where it is burned. The flow or circulation within the system is controlled by the PCV Valve. The PCV Valve is effective as both a crankcase ventilation system and as a pollution control device.

PCV systems have been standard equipment on all new cars since the early sixties. Prior to 1963 PCV was only used in California. There are a variety of PCV systems used on various makes and models of cars produced since 1963, but all function essentially the same.

PCV systems can be described as either open or closed. The two systems are quite similar. However, the closed system in use since 1968 is more effective at air pollution control. The systems differ in the manner in which fresh air enters the crankcase and excessive vapor is expelled.

Open PCV Systems

The open system draws fresh air though a vented oil filler cap. This presents no problem as long as the vapor volume is minimal. However, when the crankcase vapor becomes excessive it is forced back through the vented oil filler cap and into the open atmosphere. The open PCV system, though successful at removing contaminated vapors from the crankcase, is not completely effective as a pollution control device.

Closed PCV Systems

The closed PCV system draws fresh air from the air filter housing. The oil filler cap in this system is NOT vented. Consequently, excess vapor will be carried back to the air filter housing and from there into the intake manifold. The closed system prevents vapor, whether normal or excessive, from reaching the open atmosphere. The closed system is very effective as an air pollution control device.

The PCV Valve

The most critical part in the PCV system is the flow control valve, commonly referred to as the PCV valve. The purpose of the PCV valve is to meter the flow of the vapor from the crankcase to the intake manifold. This is necessary in order to provide proper ventilation for the crankcase, while not upsetting the fuel/air mixture for combustion. "

Ok, now the problem on the 99-00 cars is that the valve cover allows way to much to get by, and thus it allows oil to get by. Oil gets by and goes into the combustion chamber and gums everything up. I recently had my heads off and it's pretty nasty!

So what we are doing with the breathers is making our cars an "Open PCV system" as opposed to a "Closed PCV system." And by doing that, no oil goes into the combustion chamber. It just vents into the atmosphere.

Thanks guys sorry to stir all this up. I just was under the impression that i needed a breather if i didnt hook the tube up from the oil filler neck. So im gonna get that one, that S/CBlack95GT showed me. Thanks guys.