How Do I get rid of the 1/4 sec delay when I hit the gas?

I have a 95 GT with KenneBell blower. Even before the blower I would mash on the throttle and there would be about a .25 sec delay before you could actually feel the power hit the rear. I read about a TPS chip for fox bodys but don't think that would work on my sn95. Anyone had this problem or know how to correct it? Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Killercanary said:
That is the shift/timing retard, it can be altered with a chip/tuning devise... powershifting does the same thing as the retard is triggered by the TPS voltage.
i really noticed this and thought thats what it was from.

when i power shifted 4th and 4th only i gained mph

how many mph did you say you gained fomr only removing tip in retard? 1.5

KenneBell said:
Where Can I get the chip or how do I modify the TPS to get rid of the shift retard? Thanks

You can't modify the tps to kill the tip in retard.........and this is why.

Ford uses the words "tip in" to mean....... mash the throttle, lol.

While this spark retard is present during a normal wot shift it is more than that and here is an example of another way this spark retard will come into play when you drive your car.

If you are at say 2500rpm in 3rd gear at a steady cruise which would be at light throttle and then "tip in" the throttle to the floor the pcm will retard the spark cause it saw you take the tps from say 1/4 to wot.

On a stock GT or Cobra pcm the spark table commands 22*@2500rpm@wot. You can add to that value the additional spark you haved dialed in with the dizzy that is above 10* for a more accurate value if you wish. Say you got 16* at the dizzy so in this case you would have a spark value of about 28*@ 2500rpm under wot conditions.

However

With our little example above the pcm sees you mat the skinny pedal and envokes the SPARK MINIMUM FOR TIP IN RETARD on your stock pcm. The value for this spark retard is 5* so at this point in time your commanded spark value has gone from 28* to 5*.

Been a while since I've seen this in my data logs but I wanna say the retard was present for 2 to 4 data events. I think I remember someone saying you get about 10 to 12 events per second. Would not that be about 1/4 to 1/3 of a second you have this retard present?

The spark shift retard Paul talked about is something that can really make a difference if you can adjust it, but you gotta get in the pcm to do it.

btw.....does this kind of stuff make sense to you guys
and
do you guys want me to share this kind of stuff or should I just blow it off, lol

Later
Grady

Grady, info like this is always great to share. I know most of it but its one of those things where if I don't hear/discuss it for a while I tend to get a little fuzzy about it, so this is a good refresher!

final5-0 said:

While this spark retard is present during a normal wot shift it is more than that and here is an example of another way this spark retard will come into play when you drive your car.

If you are at say 2500rpm in 3rd gear at a steady cruise which would be at light throttle and then "tip in" the throttle to the floor the pcm will retard the spark cause it saw you take the tps from say 1/4 to wot.

On a stock GT or Cobra pcm the spark table commands 22*@2500rpm@wot. You can add to that value the additional spark you haved dialed in with the dizzy that is above 10* for a more accurate value if you wish. Say you got 16* at the dizzy so in this case you would have a spark value of about 28*@ 2500rpm under wot conditions.

However

With our little example above the pcm sees you mat the skinny pedal and envokes the SPARK MINIMUM FOR TIP IN RETARD on your stock pcm. The value for this spark retard is 5* so at this point in time your commanded spark value has gone from 28* to 5*.

Been a while since I've seen this in my data logs but I wanna say the retard was present for 2 to 4 data events. I think I remember someone saying you get about 10 to 12 events per second. Would not that be about 1/4 to 1/3 of a second you have this retard present?

The spark shift retard Paul talked about is something that can really make a difference if you can adjust it, but you gotta get in the pcm to do it.

:eek:

agreed Grady. Though I have never talked to you, per se (I have with many members on the boards - mostly on the fox side though), I always enjoy reading your posts. and especially so when it pertains to the puter stuff (I have a thread going right now on some things I might do/try, which is very much puter oriented). I am decent with the A9L and its iterations, but not so much at all with the SN puters. Keep it coming. :nice:

Snoozer- I haven't removed mine completely, I believe I have it set to drop to 20* instead of 5*. Its hard to say what I gained because I messed with timing and WOT fuel multipliers when I did the shift retard mod... but I immediately went from 105 to 106-107 with just altering those three things.

final5-0 said:

However

btw.....does this kind of stuff make sense to you guys
and
do you guys want me to share this kind of stuff or should I just blow it off, lol

Later
Grady
Wow were's my asprin I feel one coming on :p . You always give great detailed info to learn apon keep it coming.

HISSIN50 said:
agreed Grady. Though I have never talked to you, per se (I have with many members on the boards - mostly on the fox side though), I always enjoy reading your posts. and especially so when it pertains to the puter stuff (I have a thread going right now on some things I might do/try, which is very much puter oriented). I am decent with the A9L and its iterations, but not so much at all with the SN puters. Keep it coming. :nice:

I otoh don't know a lot about the fox pcm's other than the basic stuff.

I don't spend any time on stuff that does not pertain to my combo as I've come to find out that........the more I learn about that little silver box the more Q's I seem to have about it, lol. My ability is taxed to the limit to try and figure out how to make it work with my car as it is if you know what I mean.

As for the rest of you guys I do thank you for the feedback cause I wasn't sure if anybody wanted to see that kind of stuff.

I don't mind sharing with yall but its just the stuff I've found out by working with my car so what knowledge I've gained is rather limited so most likely I might give yall a reply with........"I don't know" from time to time. I don't know nuthin about forced induction combo tuning or what all those auto trans values thingies mean. :shrug:

btw......One other thing about the tip in retard we were talking about.

If you match its value to your total amount of spark value you will have totally killed that little demon.

One last thing and I'm done :D

Its been great to share with yall and I do thank you for all the things I've learned from all of you. This site is still my favorite because of the people. I can go to other sites and get tech info but the people are not the same on those sites.

I choose to hang with quality peeps :nice:

Later
Grady

I appreciate everyones post on the problem but how exactly do I go about altering the spark retard or tip in values on the pcm. If I get a diablo chip or SCT Superchip would this allow me to change the values to decrease the retard or eliminate it? Thanks, and I bow to your knowledge.

Has anyone ever put together a list of handheld tuners (including the FRPP extender - whatever that is. LOL) with what each can do, how user friendly each is, what each sells for, etc?

Grady, I have had my 88 GT vert for a lot longer than the 94GT, so I am a long ways behind you and all the other smart folks with the juicy stuff pertaining to the SN puters. your info is much appreciated.

grady, these are the best responses! i love what i get from this site specifically because of the info from guys like you, this is the stuff it seems like its just so hard to get an honest answer/ opinion on anywhere else, thanks!