How do i re-sync the Camshaft position Sensor

98Mustang2017

May 3, 2017
ct
I just installed a 630 high lift camshaft and dual valvesprings and didnt think to mark the cam sensor.
How do i re-sync?
My turbos are puffing out of the compressors.

[95 3.8 v6 ]
Would sure appreciate the help.

• Sponsors (?)

I think i did it right...but most likely not because the car still wouldnt start.
Cam Position Sensor looks like this:
cps1.jpg

And this is where i rotated the crankshaft to about 26 degrees ATC i think. :
cps2.jpg

I rotated the crankshaft 180 degrees but it put the half-moon of the sensor on the other side so i put it back where it was and it still didnt start.
.Maybe i need the half moon on the other side.
-
EDIT: i might have too much pre-load. i will check and shim the rockers if necessary.

Last edited:
Here are some interesting notes from the 1996 Ford Mustang V6 service manual. I do not have easy access to the 1995 service manual. IMO one of the keys is the use of the CORRECT special tool. It's also important to realize that different CMP sensors has been used over the years. As such, the special tool is different depending upon the Model year and CMP sensor design.

1. CAUTION: Before proceeding with this procedure, set cylinder No. 1 to 10 degrees After Top Dead Center (ATDC) of the compression stroke. Then note the position of the camshaft position sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the connector be located in the same position
  1. CAUTION: A special service tool Syncro Positioning Tool T93P-12200-A must be obtained prior to installation of the replacement camshaft position sensor. Failure to follow this procedure will result in improper camshaft position sensor alignment. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage
  1. CAUTION: If camshaft position sensor electrical connector is not positioned properly, DO NOT reposition the connector by rotating the camshaft position sensor housing. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage. Remove the camshaft position sensor housing and repeat installation procedure, beginning with Step 1.